Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

(women Only Please)should I Get A Pap Smear?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Donaghy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 am

I am 21 years old and I have never been sexually active, but I hear from some people that pap smears can detect cervical cancer. My periods are really heavy and the pain from the cramps makes me burst into tears. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I get a pap smear even though I am not and have not been sexually active? I don't want to pay alot of money for something I'm not sure about doing because I have no insurance. Any advice would be helpful, but I would prefer advice from a nurse.
Donaghy

Postby Benito » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 am

Wait until you become sexually active as a pap smear would really really hurt if you are a virgin. They are pretty uncomfortable if you have already had sex but would be so much worse due to the fact you a virgin. But because of your age I would recommend getting one as soon as you start having sex. Because yes they detect cervical cancer and a really bad period can be a sign of something not quite right like endometritis but not cancer so just wait till you become sexually active for the pap smear. You could always get your heavy period and bad pain looked into by a doctor though.
Benito

Postby Hagan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 am

You should get one, at least for a baseline. Try going to Planned Parenthood, they do low income sliding scale fees. Tell the doctor that you've never had intercourse when you go in and they will be gentle.
Hagan

Postby Welburn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 am

You still need a pap whether or not youre sexually active, its just thats when most women go to the gynecologist. You can get a pap from nurse practitioner at a regular doctors office. Depending on where you live, there are some doctors who will work with you on payments based on your income.
Welburn

Postby osborne » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 am

Hi there i am not a nurse but ive had problems down there. Your main concern you talk about is cervical cancer, unless you have had 1000 of sexual partners and had god nos how many STI though they say that with women who do go on to get cervical cancer a alot of them have had a certain strain of herpes. But that's not the only and even the main reason for getting it. there are loads of reasons as to why you could be getting heavy and pain full periods. A pap smear doesn't nessary detect cervical cancer as such, it just picks up on changes to the cells, and other things such as thrush and STIs. A pap /smear test is the starting block of a detection, not the actual detection of cancer. Over here in the UK we cant not get these until with turn 25 and the only way we can get one is to pay like your self or if its medical and an ongoing thing over months. If you really really believe there is something wrong i think it might be worth doing for your peace of mind. The symptoms of this decease is very suttal. You might just be prone to heavy periods, there is actually a condition for it. It may be worth going and getting it investigated not for cervical cancer but for other things or conditions that you may not not have. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck. x
osborne

Return to Cervical Cancer