Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Will Our Westie Need To Be "done"?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby morio20 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:56 am

These are the only few pros for neutering a ***** (both health and behavioural)

1.lowered mammary cancer risk- only if they're spayed early (before 3rd heat)

2.removal of pyrometra risk. Pyrometra is a serious and potential fatal womb infection suffered by the entire bitches. It is triggered by changes to the womb lining over successive heats

3.removal of heat cycles

4.removal of risk of pregnancy and pseudo-pregnancy symptoms (such as nesting behaviour, milk production, and toy hoarding/nurturing)

Male neutering benefits and behavioural

1.Prevention of testicular tumours

2.prevention of later prostate problems

3.decrease in inter male status (dominance aggression, urine marking, male roaming and mounting behaviour)

Potential health downsides in neutering/spayi g in all dogs/

1.invreased bone tumours and hip dysphasia in breeds who are more prone to these conditions, especially if they are neutered before 1 year of age

2.increased risk of spleen and heart cancers, most commonly found in breeds such as German sheperds and retrievers

3.increased risk of joint and ligament problems

4.increased risk of incontinence/ urinary infections in middle aged to older spayed female dogs

5.heightened risk of obesity

6.some studies have now suggested a link between neutering/spaying and a higher risk later of developing hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid), symptoms include weigjt gain and lethargy

7.decreased coat quality due to hormonal change

Potential behavioural downsides due to spaying/neutering

1.an increase in some types of aggression such as fear aggression, possessive and owner directed aggression and territorial aggression

2.phobic, and anxiety-related, and obsessive behaviours are also all thought to be exacerbated by spaying and neutering in some dogs

I was debating whether to get my westie done but when I read this in "my dog" magazine i thought theres no point really..

Hope this helps :)
morio20

Postby Konstantin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 am

Hypothyroidism is the most common thyroid disorder, and it is thought to affect around six to 10 per cent of women. Getting hypothyroidism under control https://tr.im/tl3Wd

The prevalence rises with age - up to a quarter of women over the age of 65 years may be affected. Men are also affected, but less frequently. Hypothyroidism can be either primary or secondary. Primary hypothyroidism means that the thyroid gland itself is diseased, while secondary hypothyroidism is caused by problems with the pituitary gland, the brain structure that supervises the thyroid gland. The most common cause of primary hypothyroidism is the autoimmune condition Hashimoto?s disease.
Konstantin

Postby Nixkamich » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:59 am

If you are fully capable of preventing him from escaping to mate, then no, it doesnt "have" to be done.

Many people are able to keep intact dogs and never have any accidental matings.
Just be aware that if he catches the scent of a female in heat, he may be very obnnoxious to live with.
Nixkamich

Postby Burlie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:03 am

Burlie

Postby Colier » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:05 am

I have a 6 year old intact male Beagle that I've had since he was 4 months with no acccidents. As long as you can keep the dog under control around intact females in public and prevent him from escaping your house and causing unwanted litters then it is totally possible to live with an intact male and not neuter him.
Colier

Postby suthley » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:15 am

Its not just about stopping them from having puppies or to calm them down, it massively reduces the risk of cancers. He obviously wont be able to get testicular cancer if theyre gone, but it also reduces the risk of prostate cancers by up to 80%. These cancers are quick to spread, moving to the liver, and then to the lungs which will kill him. Im not saying this will happen to you dog but do you not think you would want to avoid that at all costs? Speak to your vet next time you go in. Although neutering is an immediate thing, it has great benefits for his future in that he will live a long, happy and healthy life :)
suthley

Postby Wilfrid » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am

Neutering has plenty of health and temperament benefits. Mating aside, your dog could live a healthier and happier life if he were neutered. Some dog owners do it for their dog's best interest, not just to prevent accidental litters.
Wilfrid

Postby Orin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 am

If you are able to control his behavior, then there are good reasons to keep him intact, including his health and mental soundness.
If he is going to get out and run the neighborhood, then neuter him so he'll not be able to create new shelter kills.
Orin

Postby Reule » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 am

do you mean neutered? If the dog is not purebred with proven papers and has competed in conformation and scored well, don't breed. Have them neutered.

It leads to overpopulation. Even if there isn't a dog at your house he fill find a neighbors dog or a stray could wander into you yard, and bam more unwanted puppies in the world!

He will be calmer!

More trainable

Less irritated.

The list goes on and on. Here's a website with more info:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-health/benefits-of-neutering.html
Reule

Postby Cant » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:54 am

If you are a responsible dog owner and do not let your dog roam then there is no big reason to have him castrated. I have never ever had any of my male dogs fixed and they have never been a problem.

Do not listen to the castrate everything brigade that will tell you that it`s best for the dogs health to cut his balls off. There are many advantages to keeping a male dog intact.

If you ever do want to have him fixed, do wait until he is fully mature at least. Jmo.
Cant

Return to Thyroid Cancer