Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why isn't there a cure for cancer?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby feltin98 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 am

Doctors and Scientists know what it looks like and all, and I am not sure about this one, but how its formed. If they know/can figure out how it is formed, they can develop some sort of vaccine to prevent cancer in non cancerous people. People who already have cancer can be put on another thing. Instead of chemo, which weakens immune system, but also kills the cancer cells, they should be put on daily injections of a weaker form of the vaccination that has some other ingredients to kill the cells, not prevent them. And, then the cancerous patient should be put on vitamins (specialized and prescribed) to strengthen the immune system and other body functions that get weakened or something. I read somewhere that the number one reason chemo takes so long is because the people tend to get sick so quickly. Sorry if this was hard to follow... just my minds thoughts.
feltin98

Postby timeus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 am

It's hard to cure, everyone has different cancer's there will never be 1 universal cure because there are 200 different cancers and aren't the same. And also people respond differently to cancer treatment's this isnt like a bacterial disease where its the same in other human's, cancer affects YOUR own cells. They are progressing in treatment's, we have learned how to use chemo and its effective, and people everyday do get cured from cancer using chemo.
timeus

Postby rang » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 am

You know, I wonder the same thing. Some people say that there is a cure, and that it's already been found but it's being kept from us. Why sell one cure when you can keep selling treatments? This world is run by money.. it's a sad fact.

I'm not saying that's 100 % true, but it's worth researching. Same with the common cold, why sell a cure when you can sell prevention tablets?

Don't believe everything the government tells you.. Humans are a lot more advanced then that, but they keep us living in fear.
rang

Postby elon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

Why isn't there a cure for cancer after all of the money and time spent researching the disease?

Mainstream cancer treatment is a cash cow for the pharmaceutical conglomerates. More persons benefit financially from the treatment of cancer than have ever died from it.
elon

Postby korey37 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am

Sigh.... Why can't they cure blonde hair??? DNA that's why, sadly... Cancer cells are from your own dna so there can't be a one cure fits all.. Now, as to the other stuff you read or heard, you read or heard wrong...
korey37

Postby leyman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:03 am

Cancers are being cured, and they are being prevented. I have cancer caused by the HPV virus. If the HPV vaccine was available when I was a kid, I would not have contracted cancer at this point in my life. My dad hang lung and then esophageal cancer, but he was a smoker for decades. I don't smoke, so I doubt that I will ever contract these.

Doctors are making tremendous advances, but the tools used to look at the genetics of cancer are still fairly young. The first therapeutic drug aimed at cancer genetics was Herceptin, which was approved for treatment in 1998. It revolutionized breast cancer treatment for women with a specific form of the cancer, but it is useless otherwise. When I was undergoing treatment this year, I was given a drug that got my immune system to fight the cancer that had only been on the market for 5 years.

Recently, a team of doctors looked at the genetics of a certain type of breast cancer, and found almost no similarities in the genetics of the tumors, so a single gene-targeting drug can't be developed.
leyman

Return to Cancer Prevention