Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why is so much more attention given to breast cancer than prostate cancer?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby naftalie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm all for finding a cure for breast cancer, but why is so much more attention given to and why is so much more money raised for breast cancer research? The whole month of October is breast cancer awarness month. I don't know of any month being designated for prostate cancer awareness?
naftalie

Postby dohasan85 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

The real question is: "Why is so much more attention given to breast cancer than any other cancer"

Let's not try to make it even more about gender. The true feminists would support all cancers equally...

The true feminists wouldn't even use pink ribbons to represent breast cancer since they want to break gender roles.
dohasan85

Postby lawler » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Not just breast cancer. The government is currently very feminist-oriented. Which is why $2 of federal, taxpayer dollars is spent on women's health for every $1 that is spent on men's health. Though men die younger from every major cause of death. This is not quite the feminist ideal though. Nope, those self-proclaimed supporters of equality continue to fight for even greater inequalities so that men can die even younger!
lawler

Postby ellmer66 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Because feminists aren't afraid to twist the arms of our clowns *cough* I mean.. our elected officials. They don't care how lopsided prevention & treatment become they are just used to getting what they want through intimidation, shaming, and the promise that politicians will receive the women's vote.

Perhaps MRA's should take a page from the feminist playbook.
ellmer66

Postby santos » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm

its the feminazi fault, but ppl finally seeing them 4 what they really are. i love it
santos

Postby carolos » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Because men don't count to the attorney's.

Hey, don't thumb me down. I am a male who suffers that sexism too.
carolos

Postby awnan87 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Women like to organize and rally and get people behind their cause. Men are more likely to wait for others to do it. Another factor is age, so younger breast cancer survivors (all the women I know who had it were in their 30s-40s) are more able/likely to go out and raise money whereas older prostate cancer survivors (all the men who I know of having it were 70+) are less able/likely to go out and do the same.

There is a prostate cancer month. It's September. Hard to miss, actually.
awnan87

Postby towley » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Java Man:

Actually last month, September, was Prostate Cancer Awareness Month! Although you are right, it didn't get as much media coverage as Breast Cancer Awareness Month seems to get. However it took years even decades and tons of hard work and efforts for this "awareness" to happen.

However, this shouldn't be looked at as a competition. Both of these are devastating diseases but treatable when detected early.
towley

Postby ezhno » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:33 pm

you're right even when it supposed to be prostate cancer month breast cancer still gets the attention
ezhno

Return to Breast Cancer