Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why is my dog still continuously licking fabric?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby carolos » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:05 am

I asked this question a while ago and was told it was because she was probably in pain. I took her to the vet, who put her on strong painkillers. And my dog is still licking fabric. It's driving me crazy.
18 months ago we took our Yorkie to the vet, because she had a lump on her chest. The vet diagnosed cancer and said she didn't have long to live. She is 13 years old. I asked for more tests, he said it was pointless.
She now has three lumps. She was never spayed (we were waiting for the non existent Mr Right to have puppies). She eats well, in fact, she's never been so heavy. Has at least two portions of food per day. I took her to the vets where she saw a different vet. She said she didn't think my dog had cancer otherwise by now she'd be dead. She offered to do biopsies, which I turned down as we no longer have medical insurance for her. We cancelled it as it shot sky high because of her age, and we expected her to die within weeks or months.
So now I have a dog who is largely healthy (but lumpy), reasonably happy and alert, eats well, goes for long walks, bounds through fields. She is clearly becoming deaf and can no longer jump up. She sleeps a lot. And still licks fabric, continuously. I don't feel she is in pain. So what can it be?
It's any fabric, new, used, old, clean. Her cushions, my duvet, a new jacket.
Any guesses?
carolos

Postby brodrik » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:11 am

My dog liks fabric too!!
brodrik

Postby bedford51 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 am

It's a habit, she likes the feel of it on her tongue. My old dog was forever licking the carpet, cleaned it lovely. My old cavalier continually licked the side of the bath as there was soap residue.
Dogs can have habits too.
UK
bedford51

Postby pyrs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 am

she is a nervous dog that has never been trained not to
way to calm herself
pyrs

Postby spear86 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 am

she is a nervous dog that has never been trained not to
way to calm herself
the stuff u wash it with may have a taste :/
and bless her sock btw staying strong my dog basil has one lump and I knew it was a lump of fat and vet confirmed it so maybe she just has little bits of fat that are the lumps.
spear86

Postby chonen6 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:36 am

Maybe it has a very itchy tongue. :)
chonen6

Postby chayne » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 am

Maybe it has a very itchy tongue. :)
My 9 year old Shetland Sheepdog does the same thing except with pillows, it doesn't matter what kind of pillow it just has to be a pillow, I think it's because he's constantly nervous, I think it's a way of calming himself whenever something is either upsetting him or making him nervous and that could be the same with your Yorkie she might get upset of something or nervous or even just bored and start licking has something to keep her mind occupied. I'm glad your dog doesn't have cancer, hope this helps :)
chayne

Return to General Cancer Discussion