Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why Doesn't My Family Accept My Refusal Of Cancer Treatment?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby ruadhagan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 am

I'm 41 years old and I've recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer means certain death, there's no treatment whatsoever. If I got treatment I would live what, an extra 2 months at most? And certainly with terrible quality of life.

I'm single, never been married and I have no children, so there isn't really anyone dependent on me. This way I have about 3 months left to sort out some legal issues, say goodbye to people and peacefully go away.

However, my brother called me yesterday in tears, saying that I should reconsider, that no matter how small the chance of survival is, I should always try treatment.

Why don't they accept this is the best for me?
ruadhagan

Postby Bensen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:22 am

It's obvious that they want you to get treatment because they love you. They know there is a slim chance, but they want to take that slim chance to see you healthy again. There is a way out of everything, maybe this is your chance. I wish you the best of lick with your decision
Bensen

Postby dorien » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:25 am

The short answer is because they are scared.
Scared of being without you, or not knowing what to do without you, and even scared of their own mortality.
It all goes back to the seven stages of grief.

As an aside, before you totally give in and accept your "fate", I highly recommend contacting the Burzynski Clinic located in Texas.
You can look up their website for more information, including contact information.
He is doing some amazing things and getting incredible results with his Antineoplaston Therapy, even curing so-called "incurable" cancers.
Good luck to you in what ever you decide to do, and be sure to get right with the Lord if you are not already, before you die, in fact, why not do it right now?

Here is the website for Dr Burzynski's clinic: http://www.burzynskiclinic.com
dorien

Postby Renfrid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:26 am

Because they cannot face that you will be gone so soon. Many people cannot handle this kind of thing very well, they want to hold on to you as long as possible. God be with you.
Renfrid

Postby Moketoveto » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 am

Some want to fight it to the end some don't. I have congestive heart failure, bad lungs and Diabetes in pain every waking hour. I have days that I get tired of the pain and just want to cash in but this is all I got ten years of non stop pain.
Moketoveto

Postby Yuli » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 am

because they love you and that clouds all reason
Yuli

Postby stevie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 am

They are all in denial. I know it must be very hard for them to accept it. My Grandma was basically forced to do treatment by the peer pressure of all of us. It only made us feel worse to watch her suffer longer.
stevie

Postby Tearle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 am

I think you are a hero James and under the same circumstances I hope I would have the courage to make the same decision as you.

I read an article recently (I think it was in the Daily Mail) that said that people with ultimately deadly cancers, who elect not to have operations actually live a little longer than the people who do elect to have so called life extending operations.

Good luck James and go out and enjoy the time you have left.
Tearle

Postby Caldwell » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 am

Because they love you and don't want you to leave yet.
Caldwell

Postby Riddock » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 am

They don't accept your decision because they care about you and simply are sad and want you to live for as long as you can, even if it's only a couple of months more. I guess you can say its better to have hope than give up, and maybe they feel as if you have given up. I mean only you know what's best for yourself, but you do have to keep in mind of your loved ones. I'm so sorry this is happening to you and the people around you. But I agree with your brother, don't give up completely, you do always have that chance.

Best of luck.
Riddock

Return to Pancreatic Cancer