Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why does my cat drink SO much water?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby jannes31 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 am

We adopted a cat last year from a rescue that the city pound feeds into. She was on their euthanasia list for a respiratory infection and herpes of the eye (one eye) that went with the Resp Inf. Otherwise, she was healthy and her leukemia, other blood tests were negative. I took her to the vet last fall when we got her as a kitten and she was given high powered meds (L-Lysine, eye drops, antibiotics, etc) and she has been healthy since. But, she constantly acts thirsty. She will even go into the tub and drink from the spout. If I pour from the Brita filter pitcher, she's starting to drink from the stream before it even hits her bowl. We live in Houston, where temperatures reach 107 every day on our thermometers. Could it just be the heat? She is indoors only, never has been outside.
jannes31

Postby nolyn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 am

Bring it up to the vet next time you take her in. I don't think this is an immediate concern. If she was once feral she would have learned to take advantage of water sources as soon as she found them. Your air conditioning also probalby keeps the house pretty dry.
nolyn

Postby marx » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 am

my cat does the same thing, drinks like a fish and also pees SOOOO much in her litter box. I have to take her to the vet, I am thinking she may be diabetic. She drinks so much she looks blown-up like a water balloon.

If she pees a TON too, assuming that your kitty is inside in the air conditioning and doesn't get too hot, you should err on the side of caution and take your kitty to the vet to check for diabetes.
marx

Postby said34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:03 am

It could be or it could be something more. Diabetes in cats is not at all uncommon and renal failure is quite common. Do consider getting her to the vet and have a blood panel done on her just to be sure.
said34

Postby bink44 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 am

Check her litter. Does she have diarrhea? If so, she could be drinking a lot from lack of fluids that are taken away with the diarrhea. Other than that, it may also be the heat. Cats know that they need to keep hydrated!
bink44

Postby arledge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 am

First off congrats for adopting her :)
It could be the heat or maybe if she is eating a lot of dry food it could be that.
Maybe you should talk to your vet about it?
Good Luck !
arledge

Postby eoin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:23 am

ya its probably the heat,or if hes still on any meds alot of meds cause thirstiness
eoin

Postby jacky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am

Yes, she probably gets dehydrated really fast from the heat
jacky

Postby keilah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:39 am

maybe she get's thirsty from the heat or she runs ALOT i remembered my cat ran SO MUCH it's tongue was sticking out and breathing very fast so yeah we knew the problem

-Hope i helped!!!

I LOVE CATS!!!!
keilah

Postby buddey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:43 am

this could be two things.

1. diabetes. if she is drinking large amounts of water all at once this is a sure sign of diabetes.

2. if your cats water dish is just a bowl of water than she may be going to the tub and especcialy from the brita container as its being poured because it is moving. in the wild cats drink from streams because it is cleaner water to them. a bowl of water just left out is like a stagnant yucky pond to your kitty. get your kitty the electric waterfall like watering dish.....she is looking for moving water.

if you get an electric[and you should]......you have to clean it like every 9 days or so. the motor comes apart. if you dont clean the slimb out of the motor...youll be having to buy a new one every year. i have had my original for 5 years now. clean the motor always!
buddey

Next

Return to Lymphoma