Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why do people tell me prostate cancer cannot kill you, when it can?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby anakausuen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

My dad is 81 yrs old w prostate cancer stage 3.

People keep saying to me it won't kill him. But it can kill you right? If it spreads to the bones? He has his bone scans every 6 months now. I hate it when they say prostate cancer cannot kill you.

Spreading into the bones can kill you. And the spreading is rapidly fast without proper treatments. I'm just lucky my dad is on hormone therapy. It can prevent itself from spreading right?
anakausuen

Postby alberic44 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Late-stage prostate cancer is difficult to handle. Hormone therapy can temporarily halt or slow down the development of the cancer - but once it starts spreading, that's a completely different kettle of fish.

I do think I know what you're going through - my dad's in the early stages of prostate cancer (he was diagnosed a little over a year ago, with a very favorable Gleason-score). In his case, the treatment is set to be radiotherapy with a fairly massive radiation dose, though he's currently getting other more acute problems treated.

Though it is commonly said that you die WITH prostate cancer rather than OF prostate cancer, you're quite right - it CAN be fatal, but can usually be controlled to such an extent that it isn't the cause of death (though it can be quite unpleasant in its latter stages).
alberic44

Postby jeevan59 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Every cancer is a bit different and they probably tell you that for a couple of reasons, one that is has a higher chance of being cured if found in the early stages, and two they want to help ease your mind.

My uncle had lung cancer and then my mother had melanoma skin cancer. In both their cases it spread. They told my mom, hers was rare and that it couldn't be cured, that having treatments would sustain her life for longer. She was diagnosed with it at age 51 and lived til she was 55. My uncle, one of her brothers, had been diagnosed a year before my mother and was a year younger, died almost exactly a year later. My mother died on another of her brothers birthday. My poor Grandma has survived 3 husbands and 2 out of her 7 children. It is a horrible thing to go through.

My best suggestion is to just spend time with him whenever you can. We never know when our time on earth is up. Life is short and precious. We can only pray that your Dad is cured and that he has many years of quality life left. Spend time with him and make some good memories.
jeevan59

Postby caine » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Mark,
Unfortunately, it is not possible to inform you why people are telling you that prostate cancer can not cause death, you should ask them for an explanation. As you know, without diagnosis and treatment it most certainly can. What they might be getting confused with is the fact that, if discovered early enough, both prostate and testicular cancer are curable. I am not aware if you know the following information, if you do, forgive me for imparting known information. Stage III (3) prostate cancer is a fairly advanced stage of prostate cancer where cancer has been detected beyond the confines of the prostate itself. It is also known as stage T3. Specifically, stage 3 prostate cancer has extended through the capsule that surrounds the prostate, but has not spread to distant sites in the body. There are two sub-stages of stage 3 prostate cancer:- T3a, this is when the tumour has only gone through the capsule without invading the seminal vesicles. T3b, is when the tumour has invaded the seminal vesicles. You state, in your additional details, that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. If that were the case, it would not be classified as Stage III, it would be classified as Stage IV. Stage III tumours are often large enough to create difficulties with urination. These may be treated in a variety of ways, including:- Radiation therapy. Surgery. Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). Hormonal therapy. You indicate that he is receiving hormonal therapy. The long-term prostate cancer prognosis for men with stage III cancer depends on the extent of disease. Once cancer has broken through the prostate capsule, chances that the disease will progress in the next 10 years are about 50-50. Spreading to the seminal vesicles further increases the likelihood of a recurrence. The details in your question are somewhat confused, you would be advised to consult the oncologist/doctor dealing with his case and enquire about the specifics of his case.

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Hope this helps
matador 89
caine

Postby beverlee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 pm

We have no way of knowing why people say things to you. I am not even sure why you keep asking these questions.
Of course prostate cancer can kill you. It is freaking cancer! 1 in 34 men die from it.
As I have explained before he is at stage 4 now, so I do not know why you are fixated on bone mets. Other than they can be painful. Be glad hormone therapy is working for him and hopefully it will continue to for several more years. At this point treatment is giving him more time nothing is going to cure it.
There has got to be something I am not explaining correctly or you are just not getting.
beverlee

Return to Cancer Prevention