Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why do I have a dull pain in the back of my head?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby sorley » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Since around June 25th, I've had this occasional pain in the back, right side of my head near the base of my skull. I've noticed that it happens more frequently during the latter hours of the day, usually about 5 P.M. to 11:00 at night. I'm 13 years old, so it would be highly unlikely that I would have a health risk that older people can get that would contribute to this, but I guess it's possible. My family is not known to have brain tumors or cancer. I am currently taking 60 mg of Strattera daily; an SSRI prescription drug to help combat my ADD, but the side effects say nothing about head pains. I'm starting to wonder if the pains are caused by electronic media such as video games. It's Summer break and I've always been a big fan of video games so I play quite a bit every day. I've had no severe head injuries in the past. The pain itself comes and goes in small "bursts" and lasts only a few seconds. It only happens in the bottom right of the back of my skull. Help would be much appreciated!

P.S. I apologize for making my details really lengthy. I just hope that by giving as much information relating to the main question as possible, I can obtain more accurate results. I'm going to the doctor in a few days to get it checked out, but I'd like extra confirmation to put my mind at ease. Thank you. :)
sorley

Postby gower » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:08 pm

It sounds like you are getting a muscle spasm in that area from holding your head in one position for too long of a time while playing your video games. To get rid of the pain you have to free up the neck muscles to release the ones spasming on you and here's how to free them up:
Neck:
Place your hands behind your head so your fingers meet in the middle of your neck. Press into the neck with a moderate pressure and hold. After 30 seconds slowly lower your head as far as you can, then remove the pressure from the muscles but continue holding your head down for another 30 seconds.
For best results relax your body first by taking a deep breath and exhaling then remain this relaxed.
gower

Return to Cancer Prevention