Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why can't you eat or drink before a blood test?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby lazaro » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Well long story short, I have a blood test next Friday morning (I don't know what for) and I also have a submission grappling tournament that same night. It REALLY bothers me since I need to be eating every two hours to be energized!! Honestly, I think blood tests are ridiculous. I'm 15; 5'6" and 145lb and fit. No one in my family has ever had cancer diabetes or any related organ failure. I exercise 6 times a day and drink at least 150 ounces of water a day. Knowing that I won't be able to eat/drink all morning and noon then eat out of nowhere before the tournaments is seriously going to screw up my potential.
lazaro

Postby kiba » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Food changes the test values. Ask if you can have the blood drawn first-thing in the morning or if you can change the day.

_
kiba

Postby maccoll35 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I get blood tests every 6 months because I am type 2 diabetic which is caused by over 40, overweight and bad diet and lack of exercise and I eat nothing from 9pm the night before but I can drink water the day of the blood test but i always make the appointment for first thing in the morning so I wont be hungry for long. The only think you can do is change the day of the blood test - last week my daughter had a blood test and it came she could be type 1 diabetic and needs further blood tests and she is slim, young, fit and healthy but it is just something that happens for no reason, - It could be you are doing too much exercise for the amount of food or iron your body needs? Good Luck
maccoll35

Return to General Cancer Discussion