Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why are so many people dying of Cancer these days?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby wylingford34 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:01 am

- A few years ago, i barely used to hear of people with cancer. These days, 5 out of every 10 friends or strangers who pass away, die of cancer. When i was a kid and later on a teenager, it used to be 0.5 out of every 10 friends or strangers died of cancer. What is causing this sudden increase? Is it what we are eating, drinking, or breathing? Is it our mobile phones or radio waves? Is it the O-zone layer depletion? or is some pharmaceutical company secretly poisoning us so that we can buy their medicine? At this rate, it looks like we may all die of cancer in the next couple of years unless someone knows what is causing this sudden spike.
wylingford34

Postby brant » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 am

Actually the cancer has gone down. But what has happened is more people are going to the Doctor to be diagnosed with cancer. While people in the past saw the disease as an death sentence, didn't seek treatment as there were few successful treatments, and died quietly in the background. Many more people are talking about Cancer to prevent other from coming down with the dreaded disease. Whether there are additional factors of life such as the O zone layer that contributes to cancer,I don't know.
brant

Postby tristan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 am

When I was a child, cancer was a word you whispered. People died of things like pneumonia or scarlet fever, work accidents or heart attacks at a young age.

Cancer is something that you get as you age. Don't panic too soon.
tristan

Postby curtiss » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 am

Cancer rates are declining. Cancer deaths are reclining due to better technology, treatments, and earlier diagnosis. If you know THAT many people that even HAVE cancer, let alone, DYING from it. You have WAY more friends than I'll have in my entire life!

Either that, or you just thought of a good question to stir the pot...
curtiss

Postby wuyi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 am

The reason we are dying from cancer is because we are not dying from other things. High blood pressure and high cholesterol, two major factors for heart attacks, are controllable through medication. We have all but eradicated a lot of diseases. Cars are safer. Kids wear helmets for bicycling and skateboarding. More and more elderly folks get the flu shots, so influenza is not the killer it once was. Even AIDS is no longer the death sentence is was just 15 years ago.

So we have to die from something, and cancer is the great leveler. Incidences of lung cancer are going down because of anti-smoking campaigns, but cancer is something that is inherent all of us. It is our own cells, evolved to the point where they do not die, are able to facilitate their own blood supply, and transport themselves to remote places in our bodies.
wuyi

Postby arlis100 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 am

Incidence rates of most types of cancer have not risen significantly for decades - there has been no sudden increase, no sudden 'spike'. And survival rates have never been higher - FEWER people, not more, are dying of cancer.

Them's the facts. People claiming that there has been a sudden huge increase in cancer rates are paople who know nothing about cancer and have done no research on the subjuect.

There are several reasons why you hear more about cancer today:

Cancer is not a modern disease, it's an ancient one that predates humankind. Evidence of cancerous tumours have been found on the fossil remains of dinosaurs, the origin of the word cancer is credited to the Greek physician Hippocrates (460-370 BC), the world's oldest documented case of cancer is from ancient Egypt in around 1500 BC, while the oldest available specimen of a human cancer is found in the remains of skull of a female who lived during the Bronze Age (1900-1600 BC).

One reason you hear so much about it is that there are many more people who survive cancer than ever before, so you meet more people who've had it

Another reason it seems more common now is that people are more open about it. I remember a time when most people would mouth the word 'cancer' rather than saying it aloud. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer as a young man in the early 1950s his mother was mortified as she associated cancer with dirt. You can bet she didn't tell her friends and neighbours that her son had cancer, the way a mother would now.

And celebrities and public figures who develop cancer are quite open about it now, giving interviews and allowing pictures of themselves with bald heads; they wouldn't have done that 30 years ago, even 10 years ago.

We have the internet now, and countless radio and TV channels; when I was growing up there was no internet, and in the UK only 2 TV channels and 3 radio stations. Access to information about cancer is so much more readily available now, so it seems that cancer is more prevalent

.Above all, people are living longer, and cancer is mainly a disease of ageing - the overwhelming majority of people diagnosed with cancer are over 60. More people living into old age means more elderly people getting cancer. Average life expectancy in the west is late 70s/early 80s. In the early 20th century average life expectancy in the US was 47. The majority of people died from other diseases before they were old enough to be at risk of most types of cancer.

So to to the extent that cancer rates have risen, it's because of better health care; people are living long enough to get cancer.
arlis100

Postby clerc53 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 am

Smoking and other things but I said smoking since 40% have cancer in lungs from smoking habit.
clerc53

Return to Cancer Prevention