Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: How Scientists Used Shrimp to Help Detect Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why are my dog's nipples getting larger?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby sawyers98 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:01 pm

I have two females, both unspayed, one is about a year old (Annie) and the other (Ava) is about two and has had a litter. My question is: Why are Annie's nipples getting larger? This was her first full cycle. I do know a bit about dogs, and my mother used to breed our registered male Golden Retriever, so I have a general idea of some stuff. I usually let them outside without a leash or tie-out (we live in a rural town, not a city) and they always listen and NEVER take off. Ava came in heat, and brought Annie into heat as well. One morning, I let them outside and after they were done going to the bathroom, they ran off. Considering I have a 4 month old baby boy, I couldn't just take after them, so I called my neighbor (who's also my father-in-law) and he got them for me. What I'm trying to say is how could Annie's nipples be getting larger if she wasn't gone longer than 5 or 10 minutes? Like I said, I know a little bit about dog breeding, and if a pair "hook," then the breed is successful, but she wasn't gone nowhere near long enough for her to court, breed, hook, and to let the swelling go down so they could unhook. Are her nipples getting larger because it was her first full heat?

Note: I know I will end up getting some lecture about getting them spayed, so I will let you know you can spare your time lecturing me. I know it prevents overpopulation, diseases, cancers, etc. We are planning to get both Annie and Ava spayed. Our vet said you should wait until after the female has had her first full cycle. And considering we just recently rescued Ava from a fighting organization (they are both pitbulls), we were going to get her spayed as soon as we could.
sawyers98

Postby walden » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Please get them both spayed IMMEDIATELY - and find a new vet. That story about letting them go through a first heat is no longer valid, and in fact it is seen as more of a lifesaver to have pets spayed early in order to prevent this very thing from happening:
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/taxonomy/term/23411/early-age-spayneuter?k8jQhKYgMy
This is a veterinary publication, as wyou can see- apparently your vet is not reading it...this is something that has been discussed in the veterinary community for quite some time. It may be time to consider another vet.

An emergency spay can be done right now - which would prevent this and any other litters. The enalrgemnt of your dog's nipples not only means she is expeirencing a rise in her hormone level, it probably - along with the rest of the story- means a litter is on the way. The last thing you want, with a baby to care for. No one needs 8 more mixed dogs, and it would be better to head them off while you can.

Here is a link to low cost spay neuter programs - please just take them in immediately, no lectures - it's the answer:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/
walden

Postby wylingford34 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Please get them both spayed IMMEDIATELY - and find a new vet. That story about letting them go through a first heat is no longer valid, and in fact it is seen as more of a lifesaver to have pets spayed early in order to prevent this very thing from happening:
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/taxonomy/term/23411/early-age-spayneuter?k8jQhKYgMy
This is a veterinary publication, as wyou can see- apparently your vet is not reading it...this is something that has been discussed in the veterinary community for quite some time. It may be time to consider another vet.

An emergency spay can be done right now - which would prevent this and any other litters. The enalrgemnt of your dog's nipples not only means she is expeirencing a rise in her hormone level, it probably - along with the rest of the story- means a litter is on the way. The last thing you want, with a baby to care for. No one needs 8 more mixed dogs, and it would be better to head them off while you can.

Here is a link to low cost spay neuter programs - please just take them in immediately, no lectures - it's the answer:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/
Probably because its her first cycle.. Maybe she developing? My dogs nipples got bigger during her first heat. then a got her spayed and they stayed that size.
wylingford34

Postby jamon20 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

it can sometimes only take a minuet to get a dog pregnant, they do no always have to lock, and it seems that your annie would be pregnant, keep eye on her for added weight or eating more
good luck
jamon20

Postby mukonry68 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Get another vet, he is full of beans. I have small tiny breeds that we waited 19 weeks due to size. Your dog is pregnant. You now will have heaven only knows what sort of mongrel mutts. Who knows when or how it happened, but you need to find a different Veterinary and have the dog X-rayed so he can count the pups. Get both your females spayed. There is some thought that early spaying might cause low growth. Since you will not be breeding or fighting, should that matter or make a difference?
mukonry68

Postby rhys » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm

IT sis quite possibe that a succesfull mating could ahve taken place within 5-10 mins.

You need to get your og to the vet and ultrasounded to see if she is in whelp and if so, check everything is okay.

Alternatively she may be having a phantm pregnancy, basically where the dogs mind tells tis body it is pregnant when it is not, so it wll strat to produce milk in preparation for the rrival of its imaginary puppies. Lookout for he starting to nest or gather thigns up (toys, shoes, clothes) as thesemay be substitute puppies.

Either way you ned to get her to a vet. Either the ultrasound, or an injection to dry up the milk.
rhys

Postby fridgeir » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Many vets disagree with the "wait" idea as spaying before their first heat reduces the risk of mammary cancer to almost-0-
Meanwhile your waiting is just adding to the gross overpopulation and healthy dogs being killed because of .... waiting

Oh, forgot to say, her nipples are getting larger? She's probably pregnant. You know, in heat, out unsupervised...
fridgeir

Return to Cancer Prevention