Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why are cigarettes legal but marijuana is not?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby gilpin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 am

If cigarettes cause cancer and kill people everyday, why aren't they illegal like weed.
But so far, there has been no known deaths that marijuana has caused, right? Why isn't weed legal too if cigarettes are?
Is it just because the government can't tax it or what.

And when I mean legal, I don't mean you can smoke it if it's for medical reasons. As in, anyone can smoke it as freely as they want- legal.
gilpin

Postby iye » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 am

If cigarettes cause cancer and kill people everyday, why aren't they illegal like weed.
But so far, there has been no known deaths that marijuana has caused, right? Why isn't weed legal too if cigarettes are?
Is it just because the government can't tax it or what.

And when I mean legal, I don't mean you can smoke it if it's for medical reasons. As in, anyone can smoke it as freely as they want- legal.
iye

Postby paschal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 am

Can't tax back yard weed .
paschal

Postby mannix » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 am

http://norml.org/library/health-reports/item/norml-s-marijuana-health-mythology#2

"The Kaiser study also found that daily pot users have a 30% higher risk of injuries, presumably from accidents. These figures are significant, though not as high as comparable risks for heavy drinkers or tobacco addicts. That pot can cause accidents is scarcely surprising, since marijuana has been shown to degrade short-term memory, concentration, judgment, and coordination at complex tasks including driving.1 There have been numerous reports of pot-related accidents -- some of them fatal, belying the attractive myth that no one has ever died from marijuana. One survey of 1023 emergency room trauma patients in Baltimore found that fully 34.7% were under the influence of marijuana, more even than alcohol (33.5%); half of these (16.5%) used both pot and alcohol in combination.2 This is perhaps the most troublesome research ever reported about marijuana; as we shall see, other accident studies have generally found pot to be less dangerous than alcohol."
mannix

Postby taylan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:52 am

Because they are two different things.
taylan

Postby clerc53 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 am

I always wondered the same but I think it's because it kills brain cells and eventually it can kill someone
clerc53

Postby brothaigh48 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 am

For the same reason alcohol is legal--because it was our main export as colonies and a nascent nation. We couldn't have reached financial solvency after the Revolution without exporting tobacco because the Ottoman Empire cut off tobacco exports to Europe at that time.

The economic history of the past affects the mindset of the present more than people think.
brothaigh48

Postby carolos » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 am

For the same reason alcohol is legal--because it was our main export as colonies and a nascent nation. We couldn't have reached financial solvency after the Revolution without exporting tobacco because the Ottoman Empire cut off tobacco exports to Europe at that time.

The economic history of the past affects the mindset of the present more than people think.
government can't make money off of it!....
carolos

Postby thor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:12 am

Because if you smoke cigarettes while driving your judgement and skills are not impaired,but smoking pot slows reaction times by up to 35% depending on the individual and how high he is.

slowed reaction times equals INNOCENT PEOPLE DYING.
thor

Postby hayward98 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 am

Yeah, thats bull.sh.i.t. Weed is a healthy plant. They use it in medicine.
Tobacco kills. F.u.c.k.i.n.g low. There is no one person who is killed by weed.
Weed is ilegal cuz its adicted. But you can use medical weed.
hayward98

Next

Return to Cancer Prevention