Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Who Are The Usual Subjects Of Human Drug Testing?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Benaya » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 am

Depends on the phase.

Drugs are developed in stages. Beginning in a chem/biochem pharmaceutical-type laboratory where the compound of interest is made/extracted. Then it's usually tested on cells. Then on to animal testing.

'Clinical trials' are when the drug is being tested on people, and the first step here is to test on healthy young volunteers who are usually male. (This is because things like pregnancy, hormonal changes through the menstrual cycle, etc start to have tricky effects on a drug they are still trying to fully work out the effects of, so women wouldn't be used here. And older people are more likely to have other diseases/conditions and be on other medications which risk unknown interactions and changes to the way the drug would work). You need a small group of normal healthy young men to start with.

From there, it will be tested on people who actually have the disease/condition you wish to treat. Initially a small group... volunteers sometimes who have run out of options, sometimes it's your average person with whatever condition it is.

The final phase is where the drug is made available to the general public, where a doctor can prescribe it to people with the condition in everyday life. Here, any side effects, interactions, etc are reported back to a central database which keeps track of things in case there are any effects of the drug that only come out once hundreds of thousands of people are on the drug. (These are often the more rare events that may not have occurred in the preliminary tests).

You can look at the link for a more detailed explanation if you like.
Benaya

Postby Tory » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:49 am

Usually those who are poorer and need the money.

Some actually do it to further science.
Tory

Postby Vito » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:52 am

i could say definite and no - interior the case of the sweetness industry, I firmly have self assurance animal sorting out could be achieved away with with out substantial loss. interior the scientific container, that's extra durable - technologies can in basic terms replace to a definite quantity (dissections could be simulated and so on) in spite of the undeniable fact that while sorting out new medications, i do no longer know of any replace. I hate that they could infect mice with cancer and then try a drug for it, yet once I see a individual tormented by cancer, i won't be able to come to a decision if i'm nevertheless extra disenchanted proper to the mouse. it somewhat is unhappy, yet i do no longer see a replace, until eventually we expect of of human sorting out.
Vito

Postby Zhou » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 am

These days they are usually patients with existing disease who agree to take part in a trial. In most cases, this is because they have disease that cannot be adequately treated with standard treatments, so they agree to try experimental drugs to see if they are more effective.

For instance, a lot of cancer patients have little hope of survival with existing drugs, so they instead enroll in clinical trials to see if the newer treatments are better.

For less serious conditions, some patients will agree to take part in a trial where some patients get a "placebo" which has no effect, to act as a control. If there is evidence that the drug works, the placebo patients will generally be switched to the real drugs once this evidence appears.
Zhou

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials