Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

White patch on my skin...do i have cancer?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby nikson48 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

I have a scar on the top of my foot from surgery from a benign tumor. My sister told me thats what cancer looked like, and last time I asked this question I was freaked out because someone commented "you have cancer." I'm not sure if he was joking or not so I just want to know if I should go see a doctor, its a white patch of skin on my foot and I haven't really been in the sun much so I don't think it could be one of those tan spots or whatever...
nikson48

Postby walton » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi Felicia,

It is difficult to make definitive diagnosis over the internet and without seeing or having access to pathology reports. Based on what your have said I am of the opinion that it is simply "lay man's opinion".
There are very few cancers which affect the top of the foot. Exposed parts of the face are most affected by cancers.
To be certain this is what you can do. Touch the top of your foot. Does the flash feel smooth or rough and sand like (gritty)?
If smooth it is NOT cancer. You can sleep in peace.
If rough or gritty please see your doctor. He will need to get a biopsy and do more tests to reach a conclusive diagnosis. Good luck.
walton

Postby hannraoi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:21 pm

it sounds an hereditry problem like vitaligo the skin does not produce melanoma its suprising how common it is good luck
hannraoi

Postby brigg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:35 pm

it may not be cancer. it may be leucoderma.
brigg

Postby ethelred » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 pm

I have tons of those white patches all over my body, it is NOT cancer.
ethelred

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer