Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

White bump on my tongue?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

White bump on my tongue?

Postby baeddan » Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I have a white bump on the right side of my tongue, and it hurts when i bite down on something and i come in contact with it. Could my braces be the cause of this,because the sharp part of my braces, at the end tooth where its covered with metal, meets up with that bump. I'm just worried because i read things saying MOUTH CANCER and well....I dont want to hear that..I'm going to the dentist pretty soon, so if its still there i will get it checked out, but does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
baeddan

White bump on my tongue?

Postby ward61 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Most likely if you only have one or even two its just a lie bump. Its harmless I get them all the time, and I agree they hurt but it'll go away in a few days, as long as you do not mess with it or poke at it. Leave it along so it can heal :) When you bit your tongue you probably just injured one or some of your taste buds, which in some causes will turn white when injured.

Here is some more information for you...

The tongue is essential for various functions, including eating, speaking and tasting food. The tongue is a type of muscle that is covered with a protective membrane, and small, white bumps on the tip of the tongue may interfere with eating or speaking. If the bumps are large enough or painful, you may have difficulty tasting food. Bumps on the tip of the tongue can occur due to several underlying conditions.
Identification

Small bumps called fungiform papillae cover the tongue, particularly at the tip. These may also be flat in texture and pink in color. Fungiform papillae cover the taste buds and are also responsible for temperature sensitivity. Small, white bumps on the tip of the tongue may affect the fungiform papillae and change the tongue's appearance. They may be the result of an infectious condition that could require treatment or they may be a harmless annoyance that disappear on their own.

Canker Sores

Canker sores are painful, white lesions found on the tongue or the inside of the lips. These types of sores can be triggered from poor nutritional intake or soft tissue injury, such as with biting your tongue. Also called aphthous ulcers, they are often irritated with certain foods, including those that are spicy or very hot. Canker sores are not contagious, and they typically resolve on their own after a couple of weeks.
Thrush

Overgrowth of a fungus called candida in your mouth can cause oral thrush, a condition that results in white patches and bumps on your tongue. Most people have some amount of Candida in the mouth, but certain conditionsm such as illness or a weakened immune system, can cause it to grow excessively. White bumps and lesions appear on the tongue and may show on the gums or the inside of the cheek as well. Attempting to scrape off the bumps on your tongue can cause bleeding.

Transient lingual papillitis occurs as an inflammatory condition of the fungiform papillae. The condition is the result of an injury or irritation to the front of the tongue, causing one or more white bumps on the tip that are painful and inflamed. Transient lingual papillitis has also been referred to as "lie bumps," and the condition typically resolves on its own after one to two days. It may develop again after another triggering event, including trauma to the tongue or other circumstances, such as stress.

Treatment of white bumps on the tip of the tongue depends on the underlying cause and if the condition is causing pain or difficulty with eating or speaking. Some conditions, such as transient lingual papillitis or canker sores may be painful, but self-resolve after several days. Pain with these conditions may be managed by avoiding certain foods and brushing the tongue with a very soft toothbrush. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, oral thrush may be controlled with some foods such as yogurt, which has bacterial properties that can reduce the growth of fungus. Some types of thrush must be treated with an anti-fungal mouth rinse.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/317780-small-white-bumps-on-the-tip-of-the-tongue/#ixzz1txZ4UqLY
ward61

White bump on my tongue?

Postby eijaz » Tue May 08, 2012 10:46 pm

What it _usually_ is, is a minor bacterial infection that will clear up on it's own. A small injury to the tongue lets mouth bacteria move in, creating a small blister which clears up, given time. There are exceptions to that rule but don't panic.
eijaz

White bump on my tongue?

Postby ahimelech » Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 pm

most likely it's from your Braces. you can use some wax or chewing gum to cover the sharp part til you get to the dentist.
ahimelech

White bump on my tongue?

Postby awnan » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 pm

sounds like a canker sore.
have you had a lot of acidic foods, or fruits lately?
awnan

Return to Cancer Prevention