Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

When should you have surgery for a lump on your thyroid.?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby bittor70 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I had seven needle biopsy's and none showed cancer. I also had an ultrasound. The lump will never go away so why doesn't the doctor suggest surgery. I also was told biopsy's don't always show cancer. So wouldn't you want it out in case it was cancer? I'm reminded of this every day.
bittor70

Postby wylingford34 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 pm

I had seven needle biopsy's and none showed cancer. I also had an ultrasound. The lump will never go away so why doesn't the doctor suggest surgery. I also was told biopsy's don't always show cancer. So wouldn't you want it out in case it was cancer? I'm reminded of this every day.
"All thyroid nodules that are found to contain a thyroid cancer, or that are highly suspicious of containing a cancer, should be removed surgically by an experienced thyroid surgeon. Most thyroid cancers are curable and rarely cause life-threatening problems (see Thyroid Cancer brochure ). Any thyroid nodule not removed needs to be watched closely, with an examination of the nodule every 6 to 12 months. This follow-up may involve a physical examination by a doctor or a thyroid ultrasound or both. Occasionally, your doctor may want to try to shrink your nodule by treating you with thyroid hormone (see Thyroid Hormone Treatment brochure) at doses slightly higher that your body needs (called suppression therapy). Whether you are on thyroid hormone suppression therapy or not, a repeat fine needle biopsy may be indicated if the nodule gets bigger. Also, even if the biopsy is benign, surgery may be recommended for removal of a nodule that is getting bigger."

>>>http://www.thyroid.org/patients/patient_brochures/nodules.html

Stats about thyroid nodules>>>

* 1 in 12 - 15 women have thyroid nodules

* 1 in 50 men have thyroid nodules

* More than 90% of nodules are non cancerous

* If the nodule is cancerous, survival rate is over 90%

* Almost everyone develops a thyroid nodule by the time they turn 50

The most suspected factors to cause a thyroid nodule>>>

*Deficiency of iodine in the diet

*Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism)

*Genetic dysfunction of the receptors which release the hormone that stimulates the thyroid gland known as the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)

*Repeated radiation treatments to the head and neck area during the developmental stages of childhood

The tests to confirm an thyroid autoimmune disease - anti TPO (thyroid peroxidase) and TgAb (thyroglobulin).

These antibodies attack and destroy the thyroid gland. Studies show 200mcg of selenium (about 4 brazil nuts) a day lower TPO antibodies up to 40% in 3 months and "...researchers found that...organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet."

Thyroid hormones can usually shrink the nodule, or prevent it from growing. There are various types of thyroid hormone from synthetic T4 medication to natural desiccated thyroid hormone which is preferred by many.

"A clinical study was published in 1988 by Guo Xiaozong et al and reviewed by Dharmananda in his article on Thyroid Diseases. In the study acupuncture was used to treat benign thyroid nodules (thyroid adenoma, nodular goiter, or cystic goiter, but not thyroid carcinoma or thyroiditis). The acupuncture treatment revealed a long-term effective rate of 90% in resolving the nodules. Nearly half of the individuals were cured (measured by palpation of the neck and by ultrasonography), and most of the remaining individuals showed marked improvement."
wylingford34

Postby dywel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Yes. I would want it gone. I suggest you go back to the doctor and tell him, "enough is enough" Cancer or not, take it out. That way you won't be reminded of it 24/7! I can't believe they made you go through that 7 times! UGH.
dywel

Postby fremont » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 pm

You better take second opinion from Endocrinologist and discuss your doubts.
As you are in doubt it is the only way to clear by professional expert.
fremont

Return to Thyroid Cancer