Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Technology to Test For Cancer With a Single Drop of Blood

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

When should I spay my German shepherd? ?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby fridgeir » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 pm

My GSD is now 5 months old, and I was going to wait till she was a year to spay her. I wanted her to mature physically and mentally before hand( I am responsible and know the precautions to take when I dog goes through heat) however I have recently heard that waiting to spay almost always lead to breast cancer. Now do get me wrong I can offered my dogs food and vet bills , but 12,000 for cancer treatments is a little steep. if any one owns or breeds GSD or is a vet please give me some advice. Thank you!
fridgeir

Postby ansell74 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Female dogs that are not spayed can get breast cancer but not not almost always so don't make that your main concern. Thank you for being a responsible pet owner for having her spayed for obvious reasons. Your best answers will come from her vet as he can ascertain her physical readiness to have the spaying done. Some are ready earlier than others.
ansell74

Postby chadburne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

There is enough evidence to have persuaded me that for every season a ****** is allowed to have, the RISK of developing cancer later on, increases. But this is only a risk. It doesn't mean that the ****** who isn't spayed until later on absolutely will develop cancer. Almost all our bitches were spayed later on, on retirement (by around 5) but only one developed mammary cancer when she was in her 13th year. There is also the risk of an entire ****** picking up a uterine infection such as a pyometra, but again, it is only a risk, and we never had a pyo in any of our bitches, in how-many years/bitches.

My advice isn't GSD specific but I'd suggest the incidence of cancer in the later-spayed ****** isn't breed specific either. However, I would say that perhaps you might allow her to have one season - my vet advised me to do this with my Whippet when I asked him to spay around 6 months, suggesting she could have bone growth complications if spayed early, and further that bitches spayed early sometimes develop spay incontinence. I wasn't ready for that response, and waited. However, she'd not come into season by 11 months so I asked him to go ahead and spay and she's now 3, and fine. So far!!
chadburne

Postby algrenon71 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement. If you wait to spay her until she's 7 or 8 years old, then yes, you are risking breast cancer. Otherwise, it is an incredibly slim chance that isn't even worth mentioning. I've had plenty of b*tches remain intact for their entire natural life with no ill results to their reproductive system. Of course, a few did develop breast issues as they grew older, but I have never seen it in a young dog.

I would wait until 2 years instead of 1. A year old GSD is really only half grown, and as long as you can manage your dog in the meantime, it's worth waiting.
algrenon71

Postby cleon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 pm

My vet who I bring my GSD to recommends if you are going to spay/ neuter a GSD to wait until 2 for females and 18 months for males. She said something along the lines of their hormones are necessary for healthy growth. ( I don't quite remember exactly, as I leave my dogs intact) I have never had any of my dogs fixed, we've owned about 10 over the years. Is there a risk for cancer- so I've heard, but it's a risk not a given. We never had a dog come up with cancer of any kind, and our dogs all live to be 12-14 years old. Speak with you vet, they can give you their opinion, and since they know the dog, they will most likely be able to give you the best advice. Make sure your vet knows you are capable of handling an intact dog.
cleon

Postby lemmy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:51 pm

4 months, get in now
talk to your vet that knows dog
lemmy

Return to Breast Cancer