Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

When And If I Should Start Screening For Ovarian Cancer?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby Caomhan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:35 am

Six years ago, my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 45.
im not sure what stage she was in, because the next day she had a complete hysterectomy (sp?), and her tumor was the size of a softball, and history of breast cancer on fathers side too. after all the Angelina Jolie news going on, i've been trying to figure out my risk of having the cancer early on as my mother did, as we both had our tubes tied after giving birth through c-section because our bodies wouldn't go in to labor even after 2 days of pitocin and manually rupturing of water sac.
i just turned 30 in november and doc says its too early to check.
is she right or should i insist for tests to be done since mom had it before 50?
Caomhan

Postby Brady » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 am

There is no screening test for ovarian cancer at this time.

Was your mother's ovarian cancer related to the BRCA gene? Her treating oncologist should be able to advise on this.

If it was you may decide to get genetic councelling to see if you wish to procede with getting tested for these faulty genes.
Brady

Postby Teyo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 am

The DNA testing that Angelina Jolie had done cost $3,000.
You might want to check with your insurance company and see if they will pay for that kind of testing.
If not, you'll have to foot that bill yourself.
You should also see if your insurance company will pay for a hysterectomy before you've actually developed cancer.
If you do have a hysterectomy at an early age, then you'll either have to have hormone replacement therapy or go into early menopause which means your body will age more rapidly.
Teyo

Postby Annan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 am

Unless you gave birth to 2 children, they won't tie your tubes just because you needed a c section. If you're 30, you should be intelligent enough to know you should've started pap smears years ago. Since your father can't get ovarian cancer, it's not likely a hereditary factor. And there's not an ovarian cancer screen.

Dr couldn't have accurately stated too early to start. What would she start with??

The screening/testing for ovarian cancer is NOT AVAILABLE.... Hellooo?? Is anybody paying attention??
Annan

Return to Ovarian Cancer