Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Whats the life expectancy for someone who has been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Whats the life expectancy for someone who has been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer?

Postby harvey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

My dad is 97 years old. He has had prostate cancer for about 10 years. He was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer about 6 months ago. He can barely walk, he is weak, he doesnt eat or drink much . He is disoriented at times. He has bathroom accidents and a reoccuring urinary tract infection that is relentless. His whole mental state changed. He sleeps most of the day.He also spits alot. We dont know why but he does. I was wondering what is the life expectancy?
harvey

Postby emile98 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm

The 5 year survival rate is about 28%. However, your father has far exceeded the average life expectancy of 76 years with or without cancer.
emile98

Postby amou » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

hard to guess and tell
http://beautywithhealth.com/prostate-cancer.html
amou

Postby lindleigh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 pm

hard to guess and tell
http://beautywithhealth.com/prostate-cancer.html
Dementia problems in addition to cancer.
lindleigh

Postby parfait » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Too hard to guess. Depends upon the extent of the cancer's spread and the specific type involved. The life expectancy of someone at 97 isn't seriously high in any case.
parfait

Postby qiao » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm sorry, but it is my understanding that any sort of stage 4 cancer is a short term terminal situation. (weeks, months at the most)
qiao

Return to Prostate Cancer