Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What to put in care package for cancer patient?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby lundy19 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:35 pm

One of my best friends was diagnosed with Hodgkin's a few weeks ago and will be starting chemo in a couple of weeks, will be doing chemo for 8 to 12 months (she was told by her doctors). I want to make her a care package and send it to her (she lives in another state). What would be some appropriate and much-wanted items? She is 32 years old and has 3 young children, including a newborn baby. I have already sent her a ton of clothes and stuff for the baby but I want to make a pkg just for her with some inspirational stuff, pampering stuff, etc for while she's going through treatment. I know there are certain thing chemo patients cannot be exposed to but I'm not sure what those are... would love to hear from survivors as to what you would have loved to have had someone send you, thanks!
lundy19

Postby ohanko » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:38 pm

I am a cancer survivor but not Hodgkin's. You could send her her books, candles, body lotions and bath products. Some hard candy because your mouth gets dry with chemo. At least mine did. Candles always make me feel relaxed, and I love body lotions and bath products. Just don't get her shampoo as she may loose her hair during chemo. I pray she does well with chemo. God bless.
ohanko

Postby abir » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I am a cancer survivor but not Hodgkin's. You could send her her books, candles, body lotions and bath products. Some hard candy because your mouth gets dry with chemo. At least mine did. Candles always make me feel relaxed, and I love body lotions and bath products. Just don't get her shampoo as she may loose her hair during chemo. I pray she does well with chemo. God bless.
A warm, soft throw rug, for when she is having treatments or resting, so she feels like you are sending her hugs.
Moisturising lotions ( treatments often leave your skin dry)
Hard candy (lemon flavour is good) , grown up ones so she doesn't have to share with children, in a small tin so it is easy to take with her.
Book by a favourite author, or a book voucher.
MP3 player stocked with favorite music.
Beautiful scarf (I was given a gorgeous tie-died silk one that was quickly a favorite)
Vouchers for services (ironing, housecleaning, babysitting, massage) to give her a break.
abir

Return to General Cancer Discussion