Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What's wrong with me, physically and mentally? I'm 17 and feel hopeless, please help?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

What's wrong with me, physically and mentally? I'm 17 and feel hopeless, please help?

Postby pyrs » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:16 am

Let me start off by saying I have these episodes of thinking I have terrible diseases. In the past months, i was worried about kidney failure, colon cancer (that phase almost lasted 2 years) HIV, (Never had sex or anything of the sort, MS, and pretty much any type of disease you can think of. It all started when my grandpa was in the hospital and I thought he was going to die. Ever since then, I feel the same way about myself. Now, here's what I'm feeling, it's driving my family crazy. I feel so dizzy and wobbly, it's hard to walk really, extremely tired (i've slept all day) and complete hopelessness.
Here's some facts:
-Mom is bipolar and suffers anxiety
-I have extremely heavy periods, not sure if that can relate to my dizziness
-I have been hopeless & stressed (bf issues & applying to college. It's been a rough year) Is it true that depression can make you dizzy and tired? I just feel like that's impossible, how can it make you physically dizzy?
I just feel selfish saying I'm depressed when people have it worse than me. Any ideas what's wrong with me? I'm really scared and so desperately lonely :(
Also, if I go to a doctor, what would he do? I'm terrified.
pyrs

Postby nicky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 am

I hope your a christian cuz you should go to church, prays the lord!
nicky

Postby dohasan85 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:19 am

Depression can do a lot to you. this definately sounds like depression. most of your symtoms describe it and since you have mood disorders in your family already you are genetically predisposed to it. The heavy periods can mean that you have some out of wack hormones too which doesn't help depression. Sometimes birth control can regulate your hormones so that might help :$
It's your doctor's job to help you with this so don't be terrified. He'll give you a survey with a bunch of questions that'll help them determine if you really do suffer from mood disorder. If it is necessary you might go on anti-depressants but doctors hardly ever give those to teenagers anymore because of substance abuse and overdose.
There is also a fantastic book called Mind Over Mood, it's like a work book that you can go through with amazing insight and actually many psychologists use it. you may want to order that.
I hope this helps!
dohasan85

Postby nikson48 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 am

This sounds like depression and anxiety. You can request a psych evaluation or you can just go to your doctor (don't be embarrassed) and explain what's going on and see what they suggest from there. This will be the hardest step you have to take. They might try putting you on anxiety and depression meds and recommend a counselor (that's what my gp did) or they might refer you to psych (this makes it sound more serious, but trust me it's completely normal). Either way, there is nothing to fear, and trust me, it gets a lot better after taking that first step of requesting help. And don't worry--they're not gonna assume you're mentally ill or anything; depression and anxiety are really common and they help people struggling with it every day. They also can't treat you against your will (it is illegal to do so in any state).

Edited to add that YES anxiety can make you physically dizzy. It's a common symptom actually.

I really think that whatever you do, you should start seeing a therapist because they can help you work through your fears and sort out everything you're stressing about. I think it's really important to have someone in your corner when you're feeling like this because you need to stay grounded (they will listen without judgement but they'll offer they're take on the situation).
nikson48

Return to Colon Cancer