Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What's Worse An Autoimmune Disease Or Cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Sim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

No easy answer to that question- both cancer and autoimmune diseases are large and complex fields, and different subsets of those diseases can have wildly different effects, outcomes, and prognoses.

For instance, testicular cancer is nearly 100% curable, whereas pancreatic cancer is just about a death sentence. Likewise, some autoimmune diseases are worse than others.
Sim

Postby Caswallan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm

No you should not be concerned. A complete blood count should give you your white blood cell count. This test is sometimes run to give more specific information like the number or percent of different types of white blood cells. You may wish to contact the lab again and speak to a representative again-and write down that person's name name and their response to your question. Tomorrow you may wish to follow up with your physician and share your concern. My guess is that the test was not run or not printed out completely.
Caswallan

Postby neron1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm

I have both and would say cancer is worse.
Cancer takes a lot of miserable treatment and it often turns terminal.
AI disease doesn't normally kill.
It's more of an annoyance that you often don't feel well.
neron1

Postby Agustin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm

CANCER due to high mortality.

Autoimmune diseases can be brought under good remission with present therapy.
Agustin

Postby Bogie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Both are dreadful diseases and of course cancer seems to be the one feared the most, but I would say having an autoimmune disease is worst, for that one is going to be the killer eventually, and other than anti-viral drugs to give you X more amount of years, it will for certain take your life eventually.
With cancer, yes sure that is a killer too, but they have meds etc that beat cancer and a patient then will go on to lead a normal long life.

So my feelings are based on the fact, one will for sure kill you, the other there is always a chance of a complete cure.

Billie UK
Bogie

Return to Pancreatic Cancer