Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What's The Prognosis For Someone Diagnosed With Mesothelioma In Their Late 70's?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

What's The Prognosis For Someone Diagnosed With Mesothelioma In Their Late 70's?

Postby Terrelle » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Depends on where it is and how far along it is. First, I'm sorry for what your grandmother and your family is going through.    Mesothelioma is a very rare and aggressive type of cancer that is most often attributed to the inhalation of asbestos, and often takes 30-50 years to develop after exposure.  It affects the mesothelium, which is a thin, protective membrane surrounding many of the body's organs.  Because the mesothelium is found around the abdominal organs, the lungs, and the heart, mesothelioma can be difficult to diagnose due to the wide variety of symptoms.  If it is suspected, the only way to confirm the diagnosis is by biopsy(removing a sample of affected tissue to examination under a microscope.)  After diagnosis, mesothelioma must be "staged" to see how extensive it is and if it has invaded or damaged any nearby tissues or organs. Stage I    Localized, limited to small area. Stage II   Advanced, has spread to adjacent organs Stage III  Advanced, has spread to adjacent organs and lymph nodes Stage IV  Metastasized, has spread to distant areas of the body(commonly the brain) Treatment depends on the exact location of the disease, the stage, and the patient's general health.  The further the stage, the more difficult to treat.  Some treatment options include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.    I can't quote a time frame for your grandmother, because that is ultimately determined by The Powers That Be, but you said she "has declined since,"  and that worries me, especially if the decline is due to the mesothelioma.  I would use this opportunity to spend as much quality time with her as possible, and discuss with her everything she wants done as far as treatment goes.  Make sure the whole family is on the same page.  As with any medical condition, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  There is support if you need it--ask her nurse if you can speak with the hospital social worker to help guide you.  Social workers are wonderful and have an infinite amount of information.    Or, you can go to www.cancer.org(American Cancer Society website) and get information about support groups.    I wish you well during this difficult time. Sources: national cancer institute, experience confuzzled 73 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Terrelle

Previous

Return to Mesothelioma Forum