Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What's the odds of surviving a surgery to remove a brain tumor?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby lockwood98 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:47 am

The question says it all, my uncle's has had this weird behavior ever since he was little that my mom has told me, but I received a call from him this morning from him and they found a brain tumor. What I really just need to know, is what are the odds of him surviving from a surgery removing a brain tumor? He's in surgery now in Mount Sinai hospital Miami(I don't know if they specialize in this sort of stuff). I don't know anymore than that, whats the odds of surviving?
lockwood98

Postby sorley » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 am

Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami is excellent for cancer treatment.

Brain surgery is risky. Doctors will try to avoid it if they can, and try shrinking the tumor through other methods. Much will depend on whether or not the tumor is malignant, how old the tumor is, and the location of the tumor.

If doctors recommend going ahead with the surgery (get two opinions) it is because surgery will offer some hope for an extended lifespan beyond the prognosis of no surgery. In short, the one year survival odds might extend from 30% to 70%,. There is always a risk with brain surgery.
sorley

Postby lysander » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:58 am

Does he have some sort of comorbidities which make surgery dangerous?
If so, there is no way of answering without knowing what they are, but patients are cleared for surgery unless it is an emergency.
If not, I don’t understand why you would think he wouldn’t survive it regardless of what hospital he is at. I can’t recall ever seeing a patient die during brain surgery. It is rare for them to die during ANY scheduled surgery.
lysander

Postby gwyr » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:07 am

Unpredictable only his Surgeon can tell.Talk to him.
gwyr

Re: What's the odds of surviving a surgery to remove a brain

Postby PXA survivor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Depending on the location of the tumor 60 to 90 percent

Source: brain tumor survivor
PXA survivor

Return to Brain Tumors