Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What is the survival rate of stage 3 colon cancer?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby ansell74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:35 am

My friend is a 45 year old male, late stage 3 colon cancer. It is close to the anus and they might have to remove the anus as well. He is in decent physical shape (slightly pudgy), and has started working out. He looks fine right now but he is going to start chemo later today.

what should I expect?
What will he go through?
Will my buddy Al survive?

-Mike
ansell74

Postby leon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 am

His chances are fairly good IF HE FOLLOWS his medical plan. It is so important not to miss treatments and speak to him about a med that will bring up his red cell count, the doctors know what it is. I wish you both alot of success
leon

Postby reginhard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

My bil went through that. He ignored his initial symptoms so they didn't get the cancer as soon as they could have. He ended up having chemo, radiation to shrink the tumor, and then surgery. He got a colostomy (the bag thing). It has been hard for him, but he is still with us 7 years after the diagnosis. The cancer and treatment will take it's toll, but he could survive for a long time after this. I wish him the best of luck.
reginhard

Postby bailintin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 am

Generally 40 to 50 percent will survive for five years after the cancer is diagnosed.

That's not *terrific*, but it's still better than a stage IV cancer which is 10 percent or less.

Another good reason to have testing done: the survival rate for a stage 1 cancer is 90 percent and above.
bailintin

Postby sinai » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Encourage him to keep working out. It will help him get through treatments, it will keep him strong, and help his body fight off the disease.
sinai

Postby meredith » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I think the chamces are better he will survive an he will go through chemo and you sould expect him healthy after chemo.
meredith

Return to Colon Cancer