Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What is the last stage of pancreatic cancer like? please help?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby willesone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 pm

My 70 year old grandfather, was diagonsed back in february 2008 with stage two pancreatic cancer. A month later, he had the whipple done, but the doctor said that it had spread to his lymphnodes. He spent three months in the hospital, and was realeased in may 2008. For a time he was actually doing alot better, he was eating all the time, acting like his old self but certain characteristics changed about him, after he came out of the hospital. In February 2010, he went back in the hospital, cuz he had an infection, it was there not too long after we found out it was stage 4, now he is back at home, he hasnt had chemo in like two months. His eyes are golden yellow, he is very weak and frail, he doesnt talk much, its hard for him to take a step. So i was wondering how long do you think he will linger on like this cuz i hate to see him in pain. thank you
willesone

Postby don34 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 pm

I doubt he will be with you much longer. I am surprised that he is still trying to walk.
His eyes being yellow is the juandice from the liver. Is he on a morphine pump?
I sat with a friend who had this cancer, and when I left his room, an hour later I got a
call that he was gone. It surprised me how fast that happened.
I am sorry that he is going through this tough time, and you have my sympathy as well.
don34

Postby rowyn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks for choosing my answer.
rowyn

Postby iver74 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear your grandfather is so sick. It is fortunate he was able to survive at least another two years after his surgery, that is amazing. From what you describe of his condition now, it sounds like he probably doesn't have more than a week or two left. One possible sign that may show that the end is near is when the heart begins to fail, fluid accumulates under the skin causing the hands and fingers to be puffy-looking. When this happens the person probably doesn't have more than a day or two left.
iver74

Postby hezekiah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:42 pm

He should be on hospice they will work with his doctors to keep him comfortable and they help the family go through this process. Please look into it as it really helps everyone. Patients with stage 4 disease survive 2-6 months, from your description it sounds like weeks. I’m sorry.
hezekiah

Postby eideard » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm

im really sorry 2 hear that my nan had breast cancer which spread 2 her bowel i was the same i loved her a lot and hated 2 c her go through that but at the same time i didnt want 2 loose her no-one can tell you how long he has left the nurses told us my nan would take her last breathe 1 night but she stayed with us and lived 4 another week!! it really depends he will go when hes ready it will be hard but just think hes going to a better place where hell be happier and free from the pain xx
eideard

Return to Pancreatic Cancer