Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Is The Current Life Expectancy Of Stage 4 Lung Cancer That Has Metasized To The Brain?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

What Is The Current Life Expectancy Of Stage 4 Lung Cancer That Has Metasized To The Brain?

Postby einar81 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 am

My mom is 64 and was just diagnosed with this in April.
She has never smoked a day in her life.
She has undergone whole brain radiation and will begin chemotherapy in a couple weeks.
She has done extremely well with the radiation. I know it varies from person to person and the data I am looking at the internet is a few years old.
Just wondering if anyone has any input. She lost her husband, my dad, 12 years ago at age 56 to a heart attack.
I can't imagine losing my mom too!
einar81

Postby Kynlas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 am

I was diagnosed 5/2013 and am doing pretty well as of 1/29/2015.
I am a male 70 years old and I believe I am an exception.
It is not an easy road and the quality of life while you are here is equally if not more important than length.
Kynlas

Postby Barnebas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 am

i'm posting this to help somebody else who could examine it. My eighty 3 365 days previous father became clinically determined with degree 4 final July and commenced chemo. It became precisely the comparable simply by fact the unique poster claimed along with her grandmother. The chemo brought about my dad s hemoglobin to drop to dangerously low ranges and he required blood transfusions. After 2 drips to the ER, the physician took my Dad off of chemo. He under no circumstances superior. After chemo became stopped he under no circumstances regained the capability that he had till now chemo. My father handed directly to the excellent beyond in early January. i'm very sorry for each guy or woman who has kinfolk this is coping with this ailment. instruct your loved ones member lots of love and bypass away their area. could God bless everybody that reads this.
Barnebas

Postby Ryan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 am

This is clearly a very difficult situation for you and your mother.
Unfortunately the prognosis once a person is diagnosed with brain metastases is not great.
But despite this, you are correct in that we can not say in any individual person, and I have seen a full range of outcomes from a few days to a few years.

The median survival (i.e. 50th of 100 people studied) is usually around quoted around 5-6 months.
Good prognostic indicators (i.e. indicators that expected survivals might be better) would include a good performance status (able to function well around the home and not in bed for most of the day), a good response to radiation and younger age.

Your mother is a moderate age (50-65) and it sounds as though she tolerated RT well and is high functioning so it is possible that you can expect better results, depending upon her response to chemotherapy. Unfortunately it is impossible to know this for sure.

I should also note that if your mother was found to have only 1-3 metastases in the brain and she is in good shape, you could consider asking your oncologist whether or not she would be eligible for stereotactic radiosurgery.
However if there are 4 or more metastases, there has been no benefit shown to any treatment other than the whole brain radiotherapy.

Hope this helps.
Ryan

Return to Lung Cancer