Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What is rare atypical transitional cell fround in urine?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Postby jago51 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm

About 4 years ago my Dr. found small traces of blood in my urine and sent me to a urologist. He said that the lining of my prostate was irritated and so my Dr. gave me some antibiotic. about 2 years later the Dr. found some traces again and the treatment was the same. Last week I was told that the test was inconclusive but two things were noted: 1 Rare atypical transitional cells were present; an 2. Cellular degeneration was present. Should I be worried? Can I start taking any vitamins just in case?
jago51

Postby rickie75 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Atypical cells appear abnormal, but they ARE NOT necessarily cancerous. Many factors can make normal cells appear atypical, including inflammation and infection. Even normal aging can make cells appear abnormal.

Atypical cells can revert to normal if the underlying cause is removed or resolved. In some cases this happens spontaneously. In other cases, it's the result of a specific treatment.

Although atypical cells don't necessarily mean cancer, it's important to remember that some cancers first appear as atypical cells. If your doctor identifies atypical cells, close follow-up is essential. In some cases, the doctor may simply monitor the atypical cells to make sure they don't become more abnormal. In other cases, the doctor may recommend a particular treatment to try to reverse the process that's causing the atypical cells. And sometimes, the doctor may need to obtain a larger sample of tissue — such as a biopsy — to make sure cancer or another more serious condition isn't present.
rickie75

Postby roy44 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

If you have these sort of questions regarding tests done by your doctor then phone up his office and ask to have this clarified in a letter of have the doctor call you for a chat. Going on line is never the best idea in these situations.
Best wishes
roy44

Return to Prostate Cancer