Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What happens to dogs after they die?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby wakeley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 am

Nobody knows the answer to my question, but I guess I am looking for a logical explanation to help me feel better about my loss. I put my black lab to sleep yesterday and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. She was only 7, and was suffering from pancreatic cancer, which I did not know she had until last Monday. This type of cancer has no early symptoms, and when the symptoms do occur, it's usually not until the very last stage.
wakeley

Postby crosland » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 am

I am so sorry for you. I know how very hard it is to lose one of your family like that. I just recently had to have my lab put down because she had stomach cancer. Same thing-- no early signs, and then it was too late.

As for where dogs go, I have several answers. First, rent a movie called "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams. It's pretty good about helping with death issues.

Then, have you ever watched a medium on TV by the name of John Edward? He frequently tells people that their loved ones are trying to "come through" and he references animals that they have with them. Gives me a lot of hope...

And thirdly, I have first hand information from my father. This is kind of weird, but it's 100% true. For a while I had two of the most precious little Rottie puppies who loved my dad and he loved them (even though he was very sick). One of them died from kennel cough and the other one had a fatal accident (long story). The night my father died I had an extremely vivid dream and in it he told me that I shouldn't worry, that he was okay and in heaven, and the two puppies had met him there. So, whatever your religious beliefs are, I choose to believe that all my beloved pets will be waiting for me when I get there. I'm sure yours will be, too.

Take care of yourself, and go out tomorrow and get another pup. It will help you so much-- trust me!
crosland

Postby jago51 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:08 am

Sorry to hear your loss, when my dog died I took him to his favourite place that he liked to walk, buried him there and then planted a tree to mark the place...
jago51

Postby albany94 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:14 am

After dogs die their kind souls take them up to Doggie Heaven. Doggie Heaven is a wonderful place, the weather is always warm, in the mid 70's. There are a lot of other friendly dogs there to greet and welcome your dog. There are hours of lounging in the sun and sipping cool water down by the stream. There is no pain or fleas or ticks. There are beautiful flowers that doggie can sniff and lavender fills the air. Lots of trees to take care of business. :) It's a very calm and mellow place and any time you want to visit your dog, just close your eyes and see him there on the grass smiling at you. Humans have a spiritual connection with their dogs and cats (and bunnies and gerbils). All you have to do is think of him and he knows he's loved. Sorry for your loss. And, don't feel bad if you want to get another puppy, your dog knows he could never be replaced. Dogs are smart, they understand things like that.
albany94

Postby beverlee » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:22 am

They go to puppy heaven and play with all the other dogs and eat lots of bones!
Sorry for your loss, it's upsetting now but you did the right thing in not letting her suffer.
beverlee

Postby raynor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 am

no one knows what happens to dog when they die.
raynor

Postby archard » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 am

All dog go to heaven. I had a black lab and she had to be put down. She had parvo and the vet said her chances were not good. She was only a puppy and I didn't have her for long but I cried for days. I think dogs would be considered innocent and I like to think there is a good place for them when they die.
archard

Postby hearpere » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 am

That is so sad.I know how you feel i had to do that to my guinea pig but she couldn't breath. I think they go to a different heaven but seriously nobody will ever know.
hearpere

Postby nicky » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:46 am

I am so sorry for your loss.
The decision to humanely euthanise a beloved doggy best friend is always the toughest thing in the world..I had to do it once and would rather gnaw off my arm than have to do it again. :-(
I know you did the right thing though, cancer can be painful and devestating..esp to an active animal like a lab.
I send big hugs your way, and please, I know others will act like it is nothing and you should get over it quickly...but don't, you mourn just as long and as hard as you need to..otherwise the pain will never really heal. (I have mourned my 2 babies for year-and am feeling better but still not 100%)

As to what happens to them...that depends on your individual belief system...
some believe they go to heaven
some believe they go to some kind of limbo waiting for you to meet them again some day.
some believe they will re-incarnate as another beloved pet in your life.
I say, believe whatever makes you feel best...even if it isn't true..you have no way to know..so you might as well believe it with all your heart.

My personal belief is that once someone is gone, that is it..they are just gone (like sleeping, only longer)...and the rest of us are left to mourn and remember. But that is just my personal thing...each persons beliefs are equaly valid.
nicky

Postby woolcott » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:48 am

I am so sorry for your loss.
The decision to humanely euthanise a beloved doggy best friend is always the toughest thing in the world..I had to do it once and would rather gnaw off my arm than have to do it again. :-(
I know you did the right thing though, cancer can be painful and devestating..esp to an active animal like a lab.
I send big hugs your way, and please, I know others will act like it is nothing and you should get over it quickly...but don't, you mourn just as long and as hard as you need to..otherwise the pain will never really heal. (I have mourned my 2 babies for year-and am feeling better but still not 100%)

As to what happens to them...that depends on your individual belief system...
some believe they go to heaven
some believe they go to some kind of limbo waiting for you to meet them again some day.
some believe they will re-incarnate as another beloved pet in your life.
I say, believe whatever makes you feel best...even if it isn't true..you have no way to know..so you might as well believe it with all your heart.

My personal belief is that once someone is gone, that is it..they are just gone (like sleeping, only longer)...and the rest of us are left to mourn and remember. But that is just my personal thing...each persons beliefs are equaly valid.
I lost by German Shepherd when he was run down by a truck and greived over him for a week.

Death is the only certainty to life. Like dogs, we all have to go one day...in some circumstance or the other.

Dont worry, your dog will now be where all good souls go. At least, you were humane enough to releive it of the suffering.
woolcott

Next

Return to Pancreatic Cancer