Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What does it mean if CT scan says "mild thickening of left adrenal gland" & I have fatty deposits in my neck?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

What does it mean if CT scan says "mild thickening of left adrenal gland" & I have fatty deposits in my neck?

Postby kalvin21 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am

I have confirmed Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia type 2 (MEN2A) and meddulary thyroid cancer stage 3. Several months ago I began to have soft fatty deposits in between my clavicle and shoulder blades on both sides of my neck, but not evenly. I have not gained any weight ... it just slowly appeared and it continues to increase slowly. I had a recent CT scan of my lungs for some spots they are watching and this one mentioned "mild thickening of left adrenal gland" ... any thoughts?
kalvin21

Postby wynwode » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 am

I have confirmed Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia type 2 (MEN2A) and meddulary thyroid cancer stage 3. Several months ago I began to have soft fatty deposits in between my clavicle and shoulder blades on both sides of my neck, but not evenly. I have not gained any weight ... it just slowly appeared and it continues to increase slowly. I had a recent CT scan of my lungs for some spots they are watching and this one mentioned "mild thickening of left adrenal gland" ... any thoughts?
your dr really should be answering this question
wynwode

Postby korey37 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 am

It means you need to go over the results with you doctor. They are not meant for you, the patient, to figure out on your own.

We are not medically trained and neither is the internet.

I have been diagnosed with MS for 13 yrs. I get 3 MRI's a year. I take the results to my doctor. Even though I read them ahead of time, I go over them with my doctor as well as the scans themselves. After all this time, I can understand what many of the results however that is what the doctor is for...clarification, interpretation, and discussion of the issue. He's the doctor, not me.
korey37

Postby chevell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 am

Maybe the fatty deposits have developed as a result of abnormal hormone levels caused by MEN2a?. Fatty deposits under the skin generally do not present any problems or risks.

Thickening of the adrenal glands can be benign or an indicator of abnormal tissue growth in the glands. There is an adrenal tumor that sometimes develops in patients with MEN. The docs may need more info on the thickening to determine its significance.

Lung spots are found on the majority of lung images - they often don't mean anything unless they start changing.

Probably the adrenal gland findings are the only thing that raises a flag.
chevell

Return to Thyroid Cancer