Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Does All Mean?

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

What Does All Mean?

Postby Inness » Sat May 28, 2016 1:27 am

I had an episode of gross hematuria at the end os jan(may be several days until i finally realized what was going on) saw gp next day had blood gave mecipro for a week clear uas at 3 and 7 days saw uro on 3/1/12 had trace of blood did renal us cystoscopy cytology pelviv ct all cam eback negative got second opinion on 3/27 no blood did cystology cystoscopy and ct urogram all clear  what does allof this mean?am am i at an incrrased riak for posible cancer in yhe future and what is follow up plan for something like this?  How accurate is the ct urogram for finding bladder cancer…?  Needles to say i am scared and concerned.  Thanky u an danyadvice is welcome

ANSWER: Cindy:

You had gross and then microscopic hematuria.  An extensive workup was negative for any serious lesions or diseases.  You are therefore at no additional risk for cancer in the future.  If there is a new episode of bleeding, they may recommend a repeat evaluation.

CT urograms are not intended to find bladder cancers; just lesions in the kidneys.  Cystoscopy is considered the gold standard method for evaluation of the urinary bladder for cancer.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

As i have had all this testing would there be any benefit to get a fish test and so doesthis basically mean that i am ok and dont have cancer rite now and again do i need any kind of follow up eith the urologist?  Thank you

You can get a FISH test if you wish, but it will cost around $600 and won't change your situation at this point.  The factg that the workup was negative means that you are OK as far as we can tell.  We don't usually require a followup with the urologist; only if there continues to be blood in the urine.

Ihave another question could the cystoscopy have caused some nerves in my lower back to cause aches inmy groin area backnof my buttocks and dodwn the back of thethighs?   Where do i go fot help with this
Inness

What Does All Mean?

Postby haye » Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 am

I had an episode of gross hematuria at the end os jan(may be several days until i finally realized what was going on) saw gp next day had blood gave mecipro for a week clear uas at 3 and 7 days saw uro on 3/1/12 had trace of blood did renal us cystoscopy cytology pelviv ct all cam eback negative got second opinion on 3/27 no blood did cystology cystoscopy and ct urogram all clear  what does allof this mean?am am i at an incrrased riak for posible cancer in yhe future and what is follow up plan for something like this?  How accurate is the ct urogram for finding bladder cancer…?  Needles to say i am scared and concerned.  Thanky u an danyadvice is welcome

You had gross and then microscopic hematuria.  An extensive workup was negative for any serious lesions or diseases.  You are therefore at no additional risk for cancer in the future.  If there is a new episode of bleeding, they may recommend a repeat evaluation.

CT urograms are not intended to find bladder cancers; just lesions in the kidneys.  Cystoscopy is considered the gold standard method for evaluation of the urinary bladder for cancer.

As i have had all this testing would there be any benefit to get a fish test and so doesthis basically mean that i am ok and dont have cancer rite now and again do i need any kind of follow up eith the urologist?  Thank you

You can get a FISH test if you wish, but it will cost around $600 and won't change your situation at this point.  The factg that the workup was negative means that you are OK as far as we can tell.  We don't usually require a followup with the urologist; only if there continues to be blood in the urine.

Ihave another question could the cystoscopy have caused some nerves in my lower back to cause aches inmy groin area backnof my buttocks and dodwn the back of thethighs?   Where do i go fot help with this
haye

What Does All Mean?

Postby Baker » Mon May 30, 2016 2:36 am

Cindy:

Well, almost anything in medicine is possible, but there is no reasonable explanation for a cystoscopy to cause any lower back, groin or back of the legs discomfort as you've suggested.

Start with your primary care physician.  You can also consider neurology, orthopeids or neurosurgery to look into your back pain.
Baker

Return to Bladder Cancer