Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Do Cats Need To Have A Good Life?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby seton » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am

I am adopting a cat from a shelter. It is 6 months old and is a tabby. What are the things cats need? Not just basic, I want it to have a good life. I know they need food, water, litter box, etc, but what toys or litter boxes or food do you guys give your cats. Down to the specifics please. Thanks!

Um this yesterday news litter, does it work as well as well known brands?

I know they need stuff like people have said but what brands? What type? Pics would be nice! Thanks!

The adoption fee for all dogs and cats, regardless of age, breed, or size is $75. The price includes spay/neuter surgery, dewormer, nationally registered microchip, heartworm test for a dog, feline leukemia/feline AIDS test for a cat and preliminary vaccinations, .

so this means it will be neutered/spayed i am totally with spay or neutering pets because i hate seeing lost strays or hoarders and stuff like that and over population
seton

Postby Baerhloew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

They need LOVE and companionship.
If you have the space, another kitty would be the best companionship, in addition to you of course.
Cats need someone like them they can hang out with and be a cat.
It really doesn't cost that much more but it is annoying to clean the kitty litter more.

I recommend World's Best kitty litter.
It's made from corn, it clumps up and is scoopable so it lasts a long time and never smells.
It even comes in a variety for multiple cats if you do get another guy.
Baerhloew

Postby Skene » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 am

We have a huge window in our family room with our backyard with a bird bath, and bird house. My mom sometimes throws food out there so tons of animals would be roaming around for the cat to watch. We would let the cat out on our screened porch which some lizards slip in so it would probably hunt. Poor lizards. Also my mom has plants on the porch for the lizards to hide. I have another question, would getting a harness and walking it around my backyard be a good ans safe idea. Oh and we have a cat door.
Skene

Postby Ember » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am

Yep, a wide variety of toys are always a good thing. Also, try to get him one of those climbing frames for cats, they have hiding holes and poles to climb - cats love them. The toys I would advise toys with strings and feathers, and ones with bells or a rattle in them.

Try getting decent, high quality food like Iams or Whiskas. There are more expensive brands that these, like Purina, but those are just way too expensive in my opinion.

Always make sure your kitty has clean water, and that the water bowl is never empty. Changing the water at least twice a day is enough to keep the water fresh.

Make time for your kitty. Play with him, talk to him. Young cats love being spoken to, and they may even speak back lol.

For cat litter, that's easy. I always find that the best is the supermarket's cheapest. It's cheap and it does the job - there really is no need to fancy cat litter.

Have fun with your new cat, I hope you two become the best of friends. :)
Ember

Postby magee21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:57 am

heres a good list! =)

-a good home/shelter to live under

-cat food

-maybe some toyss?

-a good fun loving owner

- water!!!

- enertainment and more fun!

- maybe even cat treatss???
magee21

Postby Egann » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 am

Make sure your cat has good quality foods.
The more natural the better.
Friskies, 9-lives and the like aren't good.
Precise is a good brand, Natures Instinct, even EVO by Innova is good.
Natural litters are the best.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on toys.
An empty box can bring hours of fun, even an empty paper bag (just supervise).
A big window and a comfy bed so kitty can watch all the goings on outside.
Egann

Postby Taggart » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Congratulations on your new cat!

I personally don't like Yesterdays News Litter.
I use World's Best Cat Litter and it's worked really well for my two cats.
Liquids clump on contact and I don't find myself laboring over the litter box, scraping stuff from the bottom.
It's REALLY great and also safe for cats (no chemicals, just corn).
I would also suggest a holistic diet (Wellness, Halo, Blue Buffalo, etc.).
Wet food is preferable but if your schedule doesn't allow time for multiple feedings, a dry holistic food is a good route to go.

As for water, the best way to prevent urinary problems is to buy a pet fountain (or wet food).
I'd suggest drinkwell models, they've never malfunctioned on me like some of the cheaper ones have.

Also, provide your cat a "safe" place to scratch.
Most cats like to be up high, so a cat tower would be nice.
But to start out, any kind of scratching post is needed.

Hope this helps!
Taggart

Postby Dion » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I understand it is about 5 years of cat life to one year of human life, so an 18-year-old cat would be about 90. I know some people say 7 years, but I think that is more applicable to dogs, which tend to have shorter lifespans than cats. It is not unusual for cats to live to be 18, whereas it is very unusual for humans to live to be 125.
Dion

Postby Cein » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

What Do Cats Need
Cein

Postby Amett » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm

As far as toys go with my kittens they LOVE basic toys like their favorites are strings and their all time fav is rubber bands!
Amett

Next

Return to Leukemia Forum