Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What could this lump under my chin/jaw be?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby rosiyn56 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 pm

I recently noticed a lump under the middle of my chin, like right by the jaw bone. It is tender to the touch, and does not move. As far as I know, it's only been there for a few days. I have not been sick recently and am not currently sick. The only other thing I have is an acne breakout on my chin of cystic acne - but this bump is definitely not that. It is under the skin, and near my jaw bone. What could it be? Should I make a doctor's appointment? It couldn't be Hodgkins lymphoma, right?
rosiyn56

Postby gerardo24 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 pm

It could just be an enlarged (sub-mental) lymph node. As long as it is not getting larger, I think it would be safe waiting a week or so for it to resolve. Increasing size or pain would be indications to visit the doctor. An uncommon midline enlargement would be a thyroglossal duct cyst, a benign cyst from an embryonic remnant. Hodgkin's lymphoma presenting there would be unlikely.
gerardo24

Postby bittor70 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Cysts from lymphoma don't usually appear all of a sudden; especially on the face. Just because it doesn't feel like acne, it is most likely acne. You can make a doctor's appointment, but it is not likely that a doctor would elect to take a sample of your lump. They would probably send you to a dermatologist first to eliminate that it is not an acne cyst. The dermatologist would probably prescribe you something topical or oral and suggest you wait to see what happens. I don't know much about Hodgkins lymphoma on the face, but don't imagine a doctor would give you immediate results either. You might want to save yourself some money and wait it out a while. If it doesn't go away with your regular acne treatment within 30 - 60 days, then go to the doctor.
bittor70

Postby weston » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Cysts from lymphoma don't usually appear all of a sudden; especially on the face. Just because it doesn't feel like acne, it is most likely acne. You can make a doctor's appointment, but it is not likely that a doctor would elect to take a sample of your lump. They would probably send you to a dermatologist first to eliminate that it is not an acne cyst. The dermatologist would probably prescribe you something topical or oral and suggest you wait to see what happens. I don't know much about Hodgkins lymphoma on the face, but don't imagine a doctor would give you immediate results either. You might want to save yourself some money and wait it out a while. If it doesn't go away with your regular acne treatment within 30 - 60 days, then go to the doctor.
I had a huge lump on my chin and i was freaking out but it was just a pimple that was caught under the skin and got swollen. If it doesn't go away in 4 days or so, then call the doctor but for now i'd just leave it! Good luck!
weston

Return to Lymphoma