Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What can be done if a step mom does not follow through with dads will ?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby rique51 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm

It was a verbal agreement dads last wishes . our step mom never adopted us . she was to put my house in mine name , and the place in the country in mine and my brothers name .. dad passed away August 31, 2005 . till this day none of that has happen. she disowned me 3-4 years ago .. my brother and his wife just this past weekend.. do we have any rights to protest the will ? is there a time limit ? we thought she was going to do the right thing with everything. its like she took everything and ran ! dad did not sign the will till august 12, 2005 he passed away august 31, 2005... he was not in his right mind at the time . he was on strong pain meds and i'm not sure what else at that time. he passed away from colon cancer.. if we can not do anything with the will? is there anything we can do...
rique51

Postby honani » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Go to a free initial consultation with estate lawyer who practices in the state where you Dad lived. Bring a copy of the August 12, 2005 will. The laws vary according to the state, and the will might have a clause in it about fighting it. I don't know if the estate has been settled by now. The court should be able to tell you.

Verbal agreements mean nothing especially if there is a will. You can fight it but it wil cost you money.
honani

Postby hayward98 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:33 pm

If it was a verbal agreement, was there any other witnesses?
Sadly, if the will he signed states that the house goes to your step mother, then thats who its going to go to. I would talk to a lawyer, but its looking as though you're out on this one.
hayward98

Postby kywrkh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 pm

you can sue her
kywrkh

Return to Colon Cancer