Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Technology to Test For Cancer With a Single Drop of Blood

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What are your chances of surviving pancreatic cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby lothar88 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:57 am

Even though I don't have it, how often does someone survive a late stage of pancreatic cancer? One of my teachers said he/she survived it. How often does this happen? Or is this a lie?
lothar88

Postby harvey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:07 pm

There are a few kinds of cancer that can involve the pancreas. Some of them, like the one Steve Jobs of Apple had, are quite survivable. However, most of what is known as "pancreatic cancer" is a horribly aggressive carcinoma that only a small percentage of patients can expect to survive. The five-year survival rate is less than 5%. There are instances of survival, most in instances when the tumor is found early, usually in cases when the patient was undergoing surgery for another condition, such as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

At the end of the day, there are some survivors of every cancer. Your teacher might well be one.
harvey

Postby addis94 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 pm

I believe survival rate is pretty low about 20% because once diagnosed it is usually in the later stages. Patrick Swayze lasted 20 months which is extrodanairy because most die within a six month period.

A co-worker of mine had it (diangosed in September) and died in December.

Pretty serious.
addis94

Postby gerardo24 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm

No one survives late stage disease.
The only people who survive this cancer are those who had their disease found incidentally.
gerardo24

Postby ansell74 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 pm

People with gastroenteropancreatic nuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas can survive for years with advanced disease. People who have late stage pancreatic adenocarcinoma do not have very long to live.
ansell74

Return to Pancreatic Cancer