Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What are the chances that my 19 year old friend has lung cancer?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby kulbart » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:53 pm

My best friend is male and 19 years old. He recently went to the doctors to have a chest x-ray done because he has had a really nasty sounding cough that hasn't gone away since he got a stomach bug about 2-3 years ago. The doctor called him and said that the cloudiness in the x-ray looked like a common form of cancer and that he would need to come in Friday for tests to confirm the diagnosis.

I'm reading online that lung cancer under the age of 20 is extremely rare and I'm wondering if people out there think that he really does have cancer. I'm dying to here what the situation really is. He doesn't smoke regularly, although he's smoked pot a couple of times, done dip a few times, and smokes cigars on occasion. His mother used to smoke, so he was around second hand smoke. I read that the cause of lung cancer could be viral, so I was thinking maybe the virus he got a few years ago triggered something. Also, his basement (which was his bedroom) for around 6 months had a lot of mothballs put there by his landlord. The home he rents is pretty old, so maybe he was exposed to asbestos or radon gas, but I really have no way to know for sure.

Otherwise, my friend is healthy, except for being a little overweight. I'm very concerned. If you think he does have lung cancer, what stage do you think it could be? Over the last year his cough has gotten worse, but he hasn't spit up any blood, and he hasn't had any drop in weight or anything like that. Sometimes he does have an occasional stomach problem, and he does get headaches and bad allergies. His allergies are so bad that he sometimes has to use an inhaler. Because he hasn't lost weight and hasn't spit up blood I think and I'm hoping that he would only be stage I. The only reason he got the x-ray is because his mom is a nurse and worries often about things like cancer, and thought the cough might be something like that.

Please give me your opinions!!!
kulbart

Postby ward61 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Just remember, he might not have it. But my GodFather's grandson is 18 and has lung cancer :(. Never even picked up a cig or joint.
ward61

Postby jedidiah » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Viral lung infections can also cause clouding in the lungs along with scarring, asthma etc. I doubt it's cancer but any type of lung disease or disorder can be life threatening and be just as serious as cancer.
jedidiah

Postby chayim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 pm

The odds of lung cancer at his age are incredibly incredibly remote. If it was that, then it would almost have to be in an early stage because of how old he is.

There's a million possibilities for what it could be.

I'll throw up an uneducated guess of Legionnaires disease.
chayim

Postby eyton » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:32 pm

Lung Cancer symptoms vary from person to person and may include:

* A cough that will not go away and gets worse over time
* Constant chest pain, or arm and shoulder pain
* Coughing up blood
* Shortness of breath, wheezing or hoarseness
* Repeated episodes of pneumonia or bronchitis
* Swelling of the neck and face
* Loss of appetite and/or weight loss
* Fatigue
* Clubbing of fingers

Many of these symptoms are not cancer, but if you notice one or more of them for more than two weeks, see your doctor.
eyton

Postby clifford » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Zero.
Teenagers do not get lung cancer.
clifford

Return to Lung Cancer