Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Are The Chances Of Me Getting Cancer?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby Vontell » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 am

My dad has cancer. My dad's dad had cancer. My mom's dad has cancer. My mom has ovarian problems and thyroid problems. My mom smokes and I have been around the smoke for about 10 years. I am 13. I am physically healthy. What are my chances?
Vontell

Postby Bogart » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 am

Nothing you have told us suggests you are at increased risk of any type of cancer.

Hereditary cancer is rare; fewer than 10% of all cancer cases, all types are hereditary. Cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is even less likely to be hereditary.

You don't inherit a general tendency to get cancer; there is no general 'cancer gene'. And several family members having had different types of cancer is not hereditary.

A sign that cancer MIGHT (only might) be hereditary within a family is when several members of the same side of that family have had the SAME type of cancer, especially if some developed it at a younger than usual age.

Men have a one in two chance and women a one in three chance of developing cancer by their 80s. You can see from those figures that it would be a rare family that hasn't had a few members who've developed cancer; and almost all those cancers will be non-hereditary
Bogart

Postby mariner70 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 am

Testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer for men 15-35. It is almost always curable if caught early. If you're worried about getting cancer, I would suggest you do the monthly self-exam for TC. You can learn it here: http://www.manexam.org

(Man Exam Coalition for Testicular Cancer Awareness)
mariner70

Postby Jervis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 am

Dood cmon, everything causes cancer these days. not to mention what does your mother having ovarian and thyroid problems have to do with cancer.
Jervis

Postby Driscoll » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

55%

everyone has a 20% chance of getting cancer, most of the time its cured.

your father, mother, grandfather all have cancer. this adds 10% / person. long exposure to 2nd hand smoke increases chances by 5%
Driscoll

Postby Mika » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:52 am

The factor to do not forget is there is Cancer, after which there is Cancer, it isn't a degree gambling area in which every kind is an automated demise sentance. Some varieties are very good researched and feature a large luck price on entire therapies in which others have had little cash and practically not anything is understood. I've continuously been very are compatible, continuously doing game particulally swimming (for the county as a little one/youngster) ran marathons and hit the Gym four instances per week. I have NEVER smoked and alcohol had performed a fair facet of my social lifestyles however no a large drinker. All this made no change while i used to be identified with a kidney tumor a couple of years in the past, it used to be genetic, the explanations aren't absolutely recognized and a million 12 months after me my father had the equal factor. My well well being made the recuperation plenty simpler however nonetheless it's not that i am one hundred%, i am minus a kidney and generally will in no way regain the health i as soon as had. You can best do what you'll be able to do, to devour the correct matters and to maintain your self. Some could say good sod it then, i'll do anything i desire when you consider that i could get it besides and that i variety of realize that frame of mind after it nonetheless bought an overly are compatible and healthful man like me.
Mika

Postby Bryson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 am

I am guessing you are male, so your risk is 1 in 2 that you will develop some form of cancer by the age of 85.

This is the male average.

Unless the cancers in your family are one of the genetically linked cancers (less than 10% of cancers) then having these people in your family diagnosed with cancer does not increase your risk.

Passive smoking has a minimal influence on your overall cancer risk although it can increase your risk of other diseases.
Bryson

Return to Thyroid Cancer