Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What are the chances of having Lymphoma reoccur if I don't want to finish my Radio Therapy?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

What are the chances of having Lymphoma reoccur if I don't want to finish my Radio Therapy?

Postby grangere25 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 am

being cancer free now but I still have to undergo Radiation and I hate it. I feel that it's pointless but I have a few more to go I'm in the process of Radiation but if I stop going to radiation would there be a good chance of the B Cell Lymphoma coming back?

thanks I feel as if I can live a normal life again.
grangere25

Postby cidro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 am

I know what you are going through, but stick with it. Most likely, the program for radiation that they have you on is overkill, but it has been developed based on studies of past patient histories and is not random. Abnormal activity could not be detected on my PET scan after induction chemo but I went through with 39 daily treatments on my head and neck. I never would have thought it, but it was tougher, way tougher than chemo.

But it is better to be extra careful and go through with it than to have to go through it all again in case they missed a few cells. Get back in the microwave and do some preventive measures to help you out with your healing like using skin cream and using cold compresses to remove the residual heat from the treated areas.

Look it sucks. But no matter how much it sucks, it is better than the alternative.
cidro

Postby angelino » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 am

You should ask your oncologist this question. If your treatments thus far have knocked back the cancer cells to the point where they are merely undetectable, it doesn't mean the cancer is actually gone - that's the reason for continued treatments. You should expect to feel better when there are fewer abnormal cells.

No one can predict with any certainty whether you actually need the radiation to keep the lymphoma from returning or whether it will return even with the additional radiation. Its a gamble. The only facts to go on are that with continued treatments the likelihood of the lymphoma returning is lower, while the adverse effects of radiation will be worse.
angelino

Postby teyo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 am

it is wayyyyyyyywayyyyyyywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much of a risk. Keep doing it until your doctor gives you the ok to stop. Radiation prevents cancer as well as gets rid of it. it is a way of "scaring" cancer cells so they are at less of a risk of coming back. Would you rather stop radio therapy and get Lymphoma and get cancer again, or finish it and not be as vulnerable to cancer?? Good luck.
teyo

Return to Cancer Prevention