Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Biomarker Discovered for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What are the chances of colon polyps being cancer?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby hearpere » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Ok well my mom called me and told me my aunt had cancer. I pretty much had a panic attack until she told me that they dont know if its cancer, but she has polyps in her colon. I dont know how big they are. My aunt wasnt feeling good for a week and so she made a doctors appointment where she found this out. And I dont know what her symptoms were. My mom told me it wasnt looking good for my aunt because she has had endometriosis and got a hysterectomy and some of her colon removed. Well my mom was also drunk and being really dumb and should I be really worried for my aunt? I read online that less than 1 percent become malignant. My aunt is less than 40 years old too and there isnt any history of colon cancer in the family? I hope my aunt will be ok.. Do you think there is a strong chance she is going to die.. my mom was scaring me because she was acting like my aunt is going to die.. Im so scared...
hearpere

Postby jackson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Relax Jen. Your aunt is probably OK.
Most polyps in the colon are indeed benign - especially below age 40.
They can usually be removed through the colonoscope.
If left alone they might become a malignancy/cancer in another 10 years or so.
jackson

Postby crombwiella83 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Sounds like your aunt is going to be just fine, and your mother is a catastrophizer who panics and is super dramatic. Polyps are common, and almost never malignant. And even when they are malignant, they're mostly just in the polyp stage and removing them entirely removes the cancer and the person is fine even with no more treatment.
crombwiella83

Return to Colon Cancer