Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What and how bad is stage 1 breast cancer?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby bedford51 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:48 pm

My mom just got her results back and she has stage 1 breast cancer..

What does that mean and how bad is it (for me to know)
bedford51

Postby chevell » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 pm

You have got some pretty good support. The doctors can treat the cancer and prevent it from recurring. Your mom has to have positive thoughts about beating this and to staying strong. The surgery and the post -op
treatments are just a part of the total package. Continue to give her positive support and encouragement. Optimism is so important. There is no room for questioning the abilities of the doctors or the failure rate of the radiation and chemotherapy treatments. You know that I am here for you and I have been where you stand now. You and your mom will be in my prayers.
chevell

Postby leon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Stage 1 is the first of the following stages in which breast cancer becomes invasive and damages surrounding tissue.

At this early stage, tumors are small (less than 2cm across) and the cancer has not spread to other parts of the body.

Under the arms, the lymph nodes do not have cancer cells. In later stage breast cancer, the lymph nodes are one of the first areas of the body outside the breast to be affected by breast cancer.
The prognosis for stage 1 breast cancer is often good providing treatment is given early on.

Stage 1 breast cancer survival rates are high. Studies of breast cancer patients followed up to five years after treatment show approximately 98% of women surviving stage 1 breast cancer. These women usually live much longer than 5 years and enjoy a full life.
leon

Postby honani » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

Nobody can give you any guarantees or promise you that she will be ok, but the outlook for stage ! breast cancer is very good indeed

The severity of a case of breast cancer is categorised into one of four stages.

As others have explained, stage one means that the tumour is small (up to 2 cms) and no lymph nodes are involved. Five year survival rates are almost 100%.

Survival rates for breast cancer have never been higher. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer almost 7 years ago; following treatment I am well and pretty fit, with no sign of cancer.

Your mother, and you, may find these sites helpful; not only do they have loads of information about breast cancer and professionals of whom you can ask questions, but on th forums you can talk to people who are going or have been through exactly what you're going through. I actually don't know how I would have got through those dark days following diagnosis without online support forums:

http://www.breastcancer.org

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk

My best wishes to your mum - and to you, it's hard to see someone you love go through this

Edit - sorry, I typed the second link wrongly; have now corrected it
honani

Postby myung-dae » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

Nobody can give you any guarantees or promise you that she will be ok, but the outlook for stage ! breast cancer is very good indeed

The severity of a case of breast cancer is categorised into one of four stages.

As others have explained, stage one means that the tumour is small (up to 2 cms) and no lymph nodes are involved. Five year survival rates are almost 100%.

Survival rates for breast cancer have never been higher. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer almost 7 years ago; following treatment I am well and pretty fit, with no sign of cancer.

Your mother, and you, may find these sites helpful; not only do they have loads of information about breast cancer and professionals of whom you can ask questions, but on th forums you can talk to people who are going or have been through exactly what you're going through. I actually don't know how I would have got through those dark days following diagnosis without online support forums:

http://www.breastcancer.org

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk

My best wishes to your mum - and to you, it's hard to see someone you love go through this

Edit - sorry, I typed the second link wrongly; have now corrected it
This is a very early stage of breast cancer. The cancer hasn't spread beyond the breast at all. So you have a number of good treatments to choose from. The eight-year survival rate for women with stage I breast cancer is about 90%.
Stage I: Your cancer is less than 1 inch across (2 centimeters) or about the size of a quarter. The cancer is only in the breast and has not spread to lymph nodes or other parts of your body.
myung-dae

Postby arran » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I was caught at stage 1.4 chemo treatments 6 weeks radiation, cancer free.Mammogram every 6 months to begin with 1 little pill everyday for 5 years,feel great. our medical technology is amazing these days and times.Your Mom will do well.Best wishes.My wonderful surgeon said if I had to have a cancer this one was very very curable.
arran

Postby aeccestane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

I was caught at stage 1.4 chemo treatments 6 weeks radiation, cancer free.Mammogram every 6 months to begin with 1 little pill everyday for 5 years,feel great. our medical technology is amazing these days and times.Your Mom will do well.Best wishes.My wonderful surgeon said if I had to have a cancer this one was very very curable.
I had stage 1 Breast Cancer also. And because it did not spread to the lymph nodes under my arm, I only endured 6 weeks of Radiation treatments after the surgery. I am now cancer free and am crossing my fingers. They have put me on 20 MG of Tamoxifen. It is good that she has stage 1 and that it hadn't progressed any further. She will be fine.
aeccestane

Postby diondre21 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Hopefully if my thoughts are correct, your mum is a VERY STRONG lady, Heck look in the mirror Storm Bandit, that is one of the strongest women I know, and if it's your mum she just has to be as strong if not stronger than The Storm Bandit!

If this is all true I feel deep in my heart the she will overcome this!

She will be in my prayers, right with Princess P.J.!

Keep your head up my friend, The KING is here if you need me!

(((BIG HUGZ)))
diondre21

Postby adolphe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

i'm in the same boat as your are storm. your mom is going to need you and her family. help her, and check up on her often. i'll pray for you and your mom.

my mom has stage 3 which is really bad. stage 4 is worse. so stage 1 might be able to cure with little to no side effects.
adolphe

Postby aquilino65 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Stage 1 is an early stage, so with treatment she'll be okay. The cancer hasn't spread yet so you have that on your side.

My grandma made it through breast cancer when she was around 70. she's perfectly fine now. your mom will be ok! just keep thinking positive!
aquilino65

Next

Return to Breast Cancer