Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Experimental Cancer Patient Wants Others to Benefit

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What age can you get cervical cance?r?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby che » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 am

My sister is 17 yrs old and just gotten another pap simrs test ..Now had to get the resultsthe Gynocologist told her that information leading to him it was that maybe she had cervical cancer. and he isnt to sure until its true until he has to do more tests? He ddint talked to her about anything about it and acted he didnt care ..IS it that he may be possible right or maybe he is robbing her blind ? rreally need to know
che

Postby watts35 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:37 am

It can happen at any age. But discovering it early cure it easily. Still, do not believe one doctor. go to at least 3 doctors. Read on the internet. ask other patients. and if it is cancer,God forbid, you should see a good doctor to treat her. don't take any procedures till you are sure that it is the only option. many many people with cancer are cured completely nowadays. It isn't the incurable disease any more. wish your sister the best.
watts35

Postby cuddle35 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

She's pretty young to get cervical cancer. More likely is that she has signs of something that, if left untreated, COULD become cervical cancer someday. Cervical cancer is caused by a particular type of virus that causes genital warts. She might have that type of virus. So perhaps he saw genital warts, and wanted to do tests to see if she has the particular type of warts that can lead to cervical cancer, or the more common type that does NOT lead to cancer. Because most sexually active people have genital warts at some point, but usually not the type that causes cancer, it's a really common thing to tell patients, and that's probably why the doctor sounded like he didn't care--because it's not time to worry at this point, because it's likely nothing to worry about. But she needs to get checked anyway to make sure.
cuddle35

Postby kiba » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 am

Women of any age can get cervical cancer. Though, most cervical cancer occurs in women over 30 years old. But it’s clear that new cases of cervical cancer increase with age. New cases of cervical cancer seem to level off at age 40 years old for white women. In African American women, there is a peak of new cases at age 40 years old and there is another peak of new cases after age 80 years old. Deaths from cervical cancer seem to level off at age 50 years old for white women. In African American women, deaths from cervical cancer steadily increase with age and peak in the 80s.
Hope I helped somewhat! (: And I highly recommend reading the article. It is very useful and I think they were very knowledgeable on the subject.

Good Luck & Much Love
kiba

Postby riccardo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 am

Cervical cancer CANNOT occur at any age and only 0.2% occurs in patients under 20 years old.
Nor is it caused by warts. No one knows what causes cancer, but warts are not even a risk factor for it.
Also most people DO NOT get warts.
However, nearly everyone who has been sexually active has been exposed to some strain of HPV which some strains cause warts and some are associated with cancer.

I don’t really understand your question. Of course the doctor doesn’t know until it is true. If your sister had questions she should have asked. If she doesn’t trust her doctor she needs to get another one.
riccardo

Postby amlawdd31 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

You can get cervical cancer at any age. You probably heard him wrong or she did. He probably said that she has the HPV strand of the virus that can cause cervical cancer.
amlawdd31

Postby albrecht » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am

Pap tests are not recommended for most women under age 21. I would get a second opinion from a board certified OB-GYN.
albrecht

Return to Cervical Cancer