Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Weard swelling on my neck above collar bone?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby ahanu » Sat May 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi there, I have this swelling above my collar bone to my shoulder, I was freaked out and thought it was lymphoma or something but the doctor said none of my glands are swollen. They said that I have a bad spasm in my neck to my ear but would that cause this swelling?? Thank you for any advice.
ahanu

Postby faulkner » Sat May 19, 2012 1:27 pm

None of your glands are swollen, and your doctor told you that you had a bad muscle spasm. Don't you believe your doctor?
But what did your doctor say to do about it?
Welcome to the world of Sternocleidomastoid spasm.
This is the muscle that goes from the sternum, and your collarbone(cleido, or chest), to the bony spot behind your ear (the mastoid). Thus the name. And its location is exactly as you described.
Interestingly enough, you SHOULD have been told how to stretch that muscle, and when it's tight, you'll have difficulty doing it. You turn your head to the side as though you were looking over your shoulder, then you tilt the head upwards. I've started the website listing with the cyberpt (Cyber Physical Therapy), that shows a video of the stretch. As you do it, if you have difficulty, you'll know the direction to put emphasis on to get full stretch.
And then, after showing you I know the issue, I give you several sites that tell about it and its complexity, and problems associated with it. It goes far beyond "sore neck". it can even cause one eye to be making a lot of tears, or cause balance problems, or even difficulty swallowing.
faulkner

Postby santos » Sat May 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Neck swelling can arise from infection of the skin or other structures, which can lead to fluid accumulation, inflammation, swelling, or swollen lymph nodes of the neck. Swelling may also occur as a result of a recent neck injury or surgery.
In serious cases, neck swelling may be due to mumps (a viral infection of the salivary glands in the neck), or a serious allergic reaction. In these cases, prompt medical attention may be necessary.
santos

Postby padriac1 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:32 pm

If you have spasm in you neck to you ear then probably it's painful? Yes spasm is the cause of swelling. And it's not Lymphoma. Read lymphoma article for more information http://www.lymphomainfo.net/
padriac1

Return to Lymphoma