Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Ways of using probability in the medical field?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby farand » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:47 pm

I have an assignment for Algebra II that says, "Think of probability and how it relates to medical research and practice. Perhaps it relates to treatment, research, drug trials, or other aspects of te medical field.Using this as a context, write ten problems related to probability in the medical field."
It seems like an easy question, but any topic I can come up with seems way too simple. I have four topics--hereditary diseases, the correlation between certain races and diseases, and possibilites of being helped/hurt by drugs in clinical trials and et cetera.
However, I can't think of any other scenarios to use that I can really calculate a probability of something in.
Are there any other scenarios you can thnk of in which probability (that would be able to be calculated) would play a part in the medical field?
farand

Postby devlin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm

I won't do all your exercise for you, but how about smoking/drinking and developing smoking/drinking-related diseases?
Be careful with "hereditary diseases, the correlation between certain races and diseases". If you have an increased probability of developing a disease because of belonging to a certain race, you have necessarily inherited the tendency from your parents, who also come from that race. So a racial relationship is also an inherited relationship.
devlin

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials