Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

If someone has emphysema and lung cancer what is the survival rate?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby eyton » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I have a friend that was just diagnosed w the above. appetite is normal. So what is life expentacy.
thx
eyton

Postby brodrik » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Individual patient respond differently,so it is not right to predict actual survival in such case.
brodrik

Postby lazaro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:35 pm

The sad reality is that the survival rate for lung cancer is about 11% That is why it is so important for people to stop smoking. People who have a small tumor near the outside edge of the lung - a tumor which can be removed with surgery - have the best chances of survival.

Because of the bad odds, a lot of patients want to skip treatment. This would be a bad decision - I have had many patients who have gone through the initial round of surgery and/or radiation and/or chemotherapy and have had many good years - sometimes even 4 or 5 years or so - before the cancer recurs. If it were me, I would go through the first round of treatment. Once it recurs, though, it can be a pretty quick downhill course. Best wishes for your friend.
lazaro

Postby atley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

There is no one answer to this. Survival depends on how advanced disease is at the time of diagnosis, what the possible treatments are that may prolong survival, and also factors such as their overall health otherwise, which may determine how well they tolerate the disease.

Even with all that information, numbers are only a guide. For example, If the 5 year survival for a certain cancer is documented to be 5%, that is a pretty poor prognosis, but that still means that 5 out of every 100 people will live beyond 5 years.
atley

Postby yates11 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Emphysema has no cure and the condition will become progressively worse over the years, lung cancer has a poor remission rate at the best of times and it depends on how advanced disease is at dx's, life expectancy is impossible to calculate, everyone is different pending on overall health and determination.
yates11

Postby fremont » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Prudent* to see a general surgeon for physical examination, relevant investigations, accurate diagnosis and permanent cure by medication and or surgical interference.

PS. If satisfied/benefited with, inform others to browse 'Yahoo Answers’ on any health issue.
fremont

Postby ryszard86 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am

Ask your doctor. Even he can only give you a rough guide.
A dear friend of mine had cancer and was given 5 years to live in 1999. She died in 2008 at 83 after a stroke.
ryszard86

Return to Lung Cancer