Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can skin cancer spread when the Dr. does a biopsy and cuts into it?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby cocidius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:28 am

I have had a suspicious looking mole on my chest for almost 3 years that I thought was just a regular brown mole and thought nothing of it. I realize now, it was most likely from tanning and at some time grew there.. Recently it began pealing skin and looked bubbly around the edges. Just went to the Dermatologist today- was very concerned as the Dr. said it looks like a skin cancer, assuming basal cell carcinoma and did a biopsy and cut it off. I have to wait 2 weeks for a final answer and what kind of cancer??. I've been scared right now thinking #1 because it was left go for 3 years, does that mean cancer could of spread? or I will never get rid of the cancerous cells. #2 Can this mole come back again in the same region? #3 I was always told once someone has a cancer or a growth and a Dr. cuts into it, once it hits the air, it can spread. Is this true? When I was told skin cancer, my mind started racing. I know it sounds ridiculous. I had many questions to ask the Dr. but, she was very busy from room to room. #4- of all the regular Dr. visits at my primary dr. and blood work I've had, all panels and cbc profile have come back normal. If someone has a skin cancer- does it not show in blood work? Thank you!
cocidius

Postby drewe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 am

No, cutting into the mole will not cause it to spread. First, if the biopsy confirms that it is basal cell, then the dr. will likely remove more flesh around the area to ensure all the cancer cells are removed. The Dr. might recommend you see an oncology surgeon to do this and they might perform a MOLs excision. This is a method where they remove material, examine it for cancer cells and keep going until they are sure they got it all.

Basal cell is very treatable and almost always completely cured. Talk with your dr. and ask all your questions. If the dr. does not show interest or time to listen, find another doctor.
drewe

Postby addis94 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:34 am

When a doctor removes something suspicious, they take clean margins which means they cut out around what is being removed, taking a small layer of 'good' flesh, like a firewall.
addis94

Postby amaury » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 am

Any cancer has the potential to spread, that is why it's such a difficult disease to treat. However, that doesn't mean that your cancer has spread, that would depend a lot on how aggressive the cancer is.

If exposing cancer to air was going to help it spread then there would be a lot more people around dying of cancer.

You should have insisted on talking to the doctor, that is what they are there for regardless of how busy they are. Try not to think the worst as it won't help. I know that's pretty impossible. Your pathology report will be through soon and you will know where you stand. Treatments are much better these days and there is a lot they can do for you. Good luck.
amaury

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer