Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Usually, about how long does a dog have to live when cancer has spread to the brain?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Usually, about how long does a dog have to live when cancer has spread to the brain?

Postby werner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 am

My 18yo golden has metastatic melanoma. This type of cancer she has is incurable, inoperable due to age, and very rapid and invasive. It started as a tumor in her gums we had removed, then it rapidly spread to her ears and back to her gums. She's terminal, and all we can do is keep her comfortable with Deramaxx and Duragesic patches(fentanyl patches).

The vet today confirmed my suspicion that the cancer has spread to her brain by doing some neurological tests. Any good vet or doctor will never tell you how long they think you have left, and he's no exception. But I really would like to know about how long we have left together.

The cancer has started to affect her ability to make quick decisions, and the ability to understand commands she's known her whole life.

But yea, how long does cancer usually take when it reaches the brain?
werner

Postby crompton » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 am

Aw, I'm very sorry about your dog. You should be asking your vet these questions.

ADD:

I really can't tell you how long it takes to spread, but you will know when her quality of life has diminished when she no longer eats, wants to go for a walk, doesn't get up to greet you when you come home. She will let you know when it's time.
crompton

Postby willamar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 am

There is no way to determine how much longer she will live in misery. Large breeds do not always alert us to just how much pain they are in. She is most certainly suffering. I realize how difficult the decision is, as I have owned many senior dogs with complicated health issues. It is time to let her go. I'm so sorry.
willamar

Postby brodrick » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 am

There is no way to determine how much longer she will live in misery. Large breeds do not always alert us to just how much pain they are in. She is most certainly suffering. I realize how difficult the decision is, as I have owned many senior dogs with complicated health issues. It is time to let her go. I'm so sorry.
Dont get me wrong at all please. I am a HUGE dog lover but wy are you keeping her alive!???? She is clearly extremely very sick and in pain, why would you want her to be like that, I am sure you love her very much but let her go, she needs rest, needs to be at peace. Dont continue to make her suffer please. If you love her then you would do this for her.
brodrick

Postby jerel16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:37 am

Not long, I'm afraid =-( Once its get to the brain, especially if it metasized quickly, not long at all. There is no making predictions, especically as it may get to a point where you may feel it better to relieve her suffering before nature takes its course. It may be a matter of mere weeks, or days. Or it may be a few months. Just make each day count. Im so sorry.
jerel16

Postby archard » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog.

My family had a dog with a cancerous brain tumor. The vet gave him 5 months , and he actually lived for 2 more years. He also had diabetes and went blind from it. He was still extremely happy.

It's really anyone's guess how long the cancer takes to really affect your dog. It depends on the dog's will to live/age/etc.

It's obviously up to you whether you keep your companion alive or put her down, to tell if she is still alert & happy or just plain depressed/in pain.

Good luck with her. Spend lots of time with her :).
archard

Return to Brain Tumors