American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Urge To Pee

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Urge To Pee

Postby Ryan » Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 am

Hi Doc,

A month ago I stayed awake all night with the urge to pee. In the morning I felt pain in my right testicle which felt like the epiditymitis I've had twice in the past. I went on Cipro for a week. After a few days, the pain was gone, but I had some discomfort in my right side around day 6. The next week I felt pretty good, but three weeks after I initially had my sleepless night, I felt the need to urinate again and the pain in my testicle came back, although slightly less painful. My doctor put me on 2 weeks of Cipro. I now have three days of Cipro left, but for the past four days I've felt the urge to pee constantly. Also, two days ago, for 24 hours, I had fairly intense pain in my right side(a 7/10 in terms of severity). I've had an xray but it didn't reveal a kidney stone. Next step is a catscan. I have no burning sensation when I pee. My questions are these: If it were a kidney stone, wouldn't the pain in my side be more constant and more severe, instead of coming and going? If it were a urinary tract infection, wouldn't the 11 days of Cipro knock it out and wouldn't I have burning when I pee? What else could it be?  I'm getting concerned. One last bit: both episodes began about 24 hours after hard exercise(could they be related?).
Ryan

Urge To Pee

Postby Gower » Thu May 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Steve, the most common cause of frequency, urgency and pain in the testicle is an inflammation of the prostate gland so called prostatitis.  There are several types of prostatitis, the most frequent being bacterial.  This generally responds to appropriate antibiotics(such as Cipro) but it often takes a 4-6 week course of treatment to clear it completely.   However, this disorder rarely would cause intense pain in your side which suggests that a kidney stone trying to pass is the culprit.  Exercise will not affect the symptoms of a kidney stone.  Likewise with prostatitis, the only activity that could bring on symptoms is bike riding which can put undo pressure on a prostate gland if the latter is inflamed.

Your kidney is made essentially of 2 portions:  the parenchyma and the pelvo-calyceal system. The renal parenchyma is the outer meaty portion of the kidney which is constructed mainly of millions of tiny tubules that filter waste products from the blood for excretion in the form of urine.  The interior of the kidney is a lined collecting cavity called the pelvo-calyceal into which the parenchymal tubules drain the urine.  It is here in the pelvo-calyceal system that stones form.  They usually lie free but on occasion may be attached.  Stones that are in the kidney generally are painless.  It is when they move out of the kidney causing either blockage of urine drainage or muscle spasm in the ureter(the tube that drain urine from the kidney to the bladder) that pain occurs. If the stone becomes lodged in the lower ureter, it characteristically causing irritation of the urinary bladder producing marked urinary frequency and urgency.  Typically, this pain is unilateral, starts  in the flank, radiates into the lower abdomen and then into the ipsilateral testicle.  The pain May be constant or intermittent, mild or severe but more often the latter.  As the stone scrapes the lining of the urinary tract, blood in the urine is often noted.  Movement of stones are spontaneous and may occur during activity, rest or sleep.  Passage is unrelated to physical activity.

Imaging studies(usually an IVP or MRI) are needed to definitively diagnose urinary stones.  The degree of obstruction, location and size of the stone all are factors in determining the likelihood of passage and treatment options.  The latter includes conservatism(forcing fluids and taking pain medication as needed), shock wave lithotripsy, endoscopic manipulation or, less commonly, open surgical removal.  Intractable pain, severe kidney obstruction or signs of sepsis(fever, chills) are indications for intervention.  Good luck.
Gower

Urge To Pee

Postby pallaton16 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Doc,

A month ago I stayed awake all night with the urge to pee. In the morning I felt pain in my right testicle which felt like the epiditymitis I've had twice in the past. I went on Cipro for a week. After a few days, the pain was gone, but I had some discomfort in my right side around day 6. The next week I felt pretty good, but three weeks after I initially had my sleepless night, I felt the need to urinate again and the pain in my testicle came back, although slightly less painful. My doctor put me on 2 weeks of Cipro. I now have three days of Cipro left, but for the past four days I've felt the urge to pee constantly. Also, two days ago, for 24 hours, I had fairly intense pain in my right side(a 7/10 in terms of severity). I've had an xray but it didn't reveal a kidney stone. Next step is a catscan. I have no burning sensation when I pee. My questions are these: If it were a kidney stone, wouldn't the pain in my side be more constant and more severe, instead of coming and going? If it were a urinary tract infection, wouldn't the 11 days of Cipro knock it out and wouldn't I have burning when I pee? What else could it be?  I'm getting concerned. One last bit: both episodes began about 24 hours after hard exercise(could they be related?).
pallaton16

Return to Kidney Cancer