Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Unexplained vaginal bleeding?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby rhisiart » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm

I've been on a progestogen-only contraceptive pill for 6 months now. For the first month I had the normal adjustment bleeding, but then nothing.

Today I started bleeding for no reason, I haven't missed a day or anything, always take around the same time everyday give or take 2 hours in certain circumstances. It seems to be like a regular flow, not just light spotting.

Is this normal or should I contact my doctor?
rhisiart

Postby dartagnan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Hello, here is an article I found on the internet in regards to birth control types, advantages and side effects. I hope this information helps to answer a few of your questions. Take care.

Currently, there are three types of birth control pills on the market.

Progestin-only Pills: They contain no estrogen and are ideal for women who have just given birth

Combination Pills: The most common form of oral contraceptive. Most packages contain three weeks of hormone pills and one week of sugar pills (or spacer pills). They come in two different doses: monophasic and multiphasic.

•Monophasic: These pills contain a level amount of progesterone and estrogen, meaning side effects are minimal.

•Multiphasic: These pills contain three different doses of hormones, changing every seven days.

They were designed to reduce side effects like breakthrough bleeding and spotting.

Emergency Contraceptive Pills: These are designed to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. A good example is Plan B.

Benefits of the birth control pill

While oral contraceptives work fairly successfully to prevent pregnancy, there are several other positive ways this type of birth control impacts a woman's health:

•Decrease menstrual blood loss, cramps and pain
•More regular menstrual cycles
•Can improve acne
•Prevents bone density loss
•Reduces the risk of developing ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer
•Lessens the symptoms of endometriosis
•Decreases benign lumps in the breast

Side effects of the birth control pill
The Pill isn't without its health concerns. Some of the negative side effects associated with taking oral contraceptives include:

•Breakthrough bleeding
•Nausea and/or vomiting
•Headaches
•Hypertension
•Blood clots (especially in smokers)
•May contribute to the formation of gallstones and benign liver tumors
•Weight gain or bloating
•Breast tenderness
•Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections
•Loss of sex drive
•Venous thromboembolism
•Increased risk of heart attack or stroke

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-welln…
dartagnan

Postby bleecker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Hello, here is an article I found on the internet in regards to birth control types, advantages and side effects. I hope this information helps to answer a few of your questions. Take care.

Currently, there are three types of birth control pills on the market.

Progestin-only Pills: They contain no estrogen and are ideal for women who have just given birth

Combination Pills: The most common form of oral contraceptive. Most packages contain three weeks of hormone pills and one week of sugar pills (or spacer pills). They come in two different doses: monophasic and multiphasic.

•Monophasic: These pills contain a level amount of progesterone and estrogen, meaning side effects are minimal.

•Multiphasic: These pills contain three different doses of hormones, changing every seven days.

They were designed to reduce side effects like breakthrough bleeding and spotting.

Emergency Contraceptive Pills: These are designed to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. A good example is Plan B.

Benefits of the birth control pill

While oral contraceptives work fairly successfully to prevent pregnancy, there are several other positive ways this type of birth control impacts a woman's health:

•Decrease menstrual blood loss, cramps and pain
•More regular menstrual cycles
•Can improve acne
•Prevents bone density loss
•Reduces the risk of developing ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer
•Lessens the symptoms of endometriosis
•Decreases benign lumps in the breast

Side effects of the birth control pill
The Pill isn't without its health concerns. Some of the negative side effects associated with taking oral contraceptives include:

•Breakthrough bleeding
•Nausea and/or vomiting
•Headaches
•Hypertension
•Blood clots (especially in smokers)
•May contribute to the formation of gallstones and benign liver tumors
•Weight gain or bloating
•Breast tenderness
•Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections
•Loss of sex drive
•Venous thromboembolism
•Increased risk of heart attack or stroke

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-welln…
Hi there,

It is probably normal, but you should still get in touch with your doctor to have it checked out.

Bleeding on the POP (progesterone-only pill) can be unpredictable and varies from person to person. To know whether your bleeding is significant, you need to take into consideration other factors, such as your age, whether you have any other symptoms, and your general health, among other things.

So do mention it to your doctor, who can check these things out, and make 100% sure that everything is ok, but in all likelyhood you have nothing to worry about.

Best Wishes,

Your Online Consultant, MB BCh Dip.Phyt. DIHom
======================================
Over 30 years experience in medicine, and over 15 years as a Natural Health practitioner.
- now developing a number of online resources to help and support people with all sorts of health conditions.
bleecker

Return to Ovarian Cancer