Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Uncle diagnosed with stage 3, possibly stage 4, lung cancer. Advice? Positivity?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Uncle diagnosed with stage 3, possibly stage 4, lung cancer. Advice? Positivity?

Postby watt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 am

My Uncle was recently diagnosed with stage 3, possibly stage 4 lung cancer. He went today to have some tests done to see if the cancer has spread to his brain or other parts of his body. He starts chemo on the 19th, and I believe radiation soon after. I am taking the train to see him (as well as his wife and daughter, [my aunt and cousin]) on either the 18th or the 19th and staying for a few days.

Understandably, his wife and daughter are very distraught - we all are. But I need to bring some positivity into their lives and was wondering if anyone had any encouraging words I could share with them. The doctors have given him a 30-40% cure rate, which I say is 30-40% more than 0% so it is not that bad! And there is no reason why he can't be one of the 30-40% to beat it - he is a strong person, served in the military for years, has always been the one to push us kids to get our lives together and do the right thing, he is always on our a** about something! In a good way! Even tonight when I called him to see how he was doing, he interrupted me to ask me how I was doing in school and when I would be graduating and with what degrees, etc, and told me I need to go and get my bachelors after! He also said he is pissed because he is only 59 years old and hasn't started collecting social security yet! haha. He is in as good of spirits as you can expect someone who just found out they have lung cancer to be. He told me he will fight it and he wont stop the chemo, he wont stop the radiation, he will fight it all the way through.

I want to make him believe that he CAN beat it. I want to make his wife and daughter believe that he CAN beat it, and give them hope. I talked to his daughter tonight for a few hours and she said I was making her feel better - but she still is not *convinced*. I will only be there for about two days, but will likely be taking trips there frequently or at the very least calling weekly.

I feel this overwhelming need to stick my nose right in the middle of this, even though the past 5 years or so we haven't been all that close. I just feel like I HAVE to give them hope and faith right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Inspirational quotes? Survivor stories? Just any thing I can do to make them all come together and feel strong and get ready to fight?
watt

Postby demothi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:06 am

You are a very strong, positive speaker already! Just keep it up! My grandad was one of the 40%! Just keep your head held high and every thing will turn out fine! Just think about this : 40% is 40 out of 100! Just 1 out of 100 chance of living!
demothi

Postby cacey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:12 am

Anything is possible(:
Just whatch the blind side and you'll be happy.<3
He'll survive. <3
cacey

Return to Lung Cancer